• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 lockright install

IMSMC, yes one or the other! I just did mine with 4.10's and was very scared! Drove her the other day on a 20 mile round trip. Everything was A-OK! Except for the vibration that ended up being the rear u-joint working loose!

i got a D30 from Gary E on the board here that had the stock 3.55s and he had to grind the ring gear just a bit to put his lockright in. so i don't have any first hand experience, but i feel pretty confident in Gary, so i'll say the answer is "yes, you will need to grind or remove the ring gear"

Talking about you grinding the ring gear, mad maxJ

DSCF0021.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~cdutke/grind/index.html

I was wondering why one axle was really easy to get out. :D

yeah, I understand the part about the cross shaft, but why would you need to grind?

I guess my thinking is that I just had my front regeared, and dont want to grind on it. Why is the x-shaft the problem?

Thanks

when you go to install it you will find that when you remove the crosspin, it will hit the ring gear on one or two of the teeth. right at the crown/toe. you will need to remove a small amount of material to clear the crosspin, allowing it to slide out all the way. since you gotta pull the shafts anyways, your not to far from just pulling the carrier out and removing the ring gear. this will let you do the work on a benchtop instead of upside down under your jeep. much more comfortalbe and less agrivatiing...

Back