NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 8th, 2003, 08:41
NAXJA Forum User

Question Front Driveshaft Rebiuld $$$??

I just had the front driveshaft rebuilt by one of the best in the midwest, and it is going to cost me $360. I was just wondering if this seems high to you guys. If I had known it was that messed up, I would have probably looked into a new one. This is for a 89 XJ with a 3" lift. All u-joints had to be replaced, and the yoke cut off, and a new one welded on. Never quite got around to taking it off, to lube it. I will from now on, though.
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Front Driveshaft Rebiuld $$$??

you should be able to get a nice new one for that. check www.highangledriveline.com and Tom Woods
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:25
NAXJA Member #910

I had the rear one of my 85 bronco (made new) it was $300.00 3 years ago. Don't know if that helps.
Old December 8th, 2003, 17:33
NAXJA Member #968

My new front drive shaft made by Tom Woods to my specs sold from a third party ran me $235.

But when I went to use a local driveline shop, they told me a similar unit cost another customer somewhere in the $400 neighborhood.

I don't have the gold package on my XJ so I went with the Tom Wood's shaft.
Old December 8th, 2003, 18:51
NAXJA Forum User

The gold package!!! I almost tried to forget about that. That was the very first thing I removed when I bought my junk back in the day.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:49
NAXJA Forum User

Are you having them do all the work - including removal and re-installation? That sounds way too expense to me. I removed mine and took it to a driveline shop in Denver. They rebuit, balanced, and even painted mine for $125. I just had to slap it back on myself.
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:22
NAXJA Forum User

I took it off myself, and delivered it to them. I was originally quoted about $160 for parts and labor, but the damage was more extensive. I knew it was an option, but we never really talked about it. I trust the guy's work, but I didn't realize it could cost this much.
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:32
NAXJA Forum User

i had to replace the one in my 85 with the cv style i got a used shaft from the junkyard fer 30.00 than went to the shop and they cut it to the rite length and ballanced it for 40.00 but i dod all the u joints myself
Old December 10th, 2003, 10:40
NAXJA Forum User

so the guy quoted you at $160 then said later after he'd done the work that it would cost $360?
Old December 10th, 2003, 11:18
NAXJA Forum User

Well, I think we were both a little to blame. I told him I thought it needd to be rebuilt, and I asked how much that would run. He told me $160, and I thought that was fine. I dropped it off, and went to pick it up a week later. The bill was $360. I asked what the extra $200 was for, and he said, and showed me the yoke he had to cut off, and replace. Ideally, I would have liked him to call me and say it was going to be over twice what we talked about. I would have had him just order a new one, or done it myself. I do trust this guy, and I know his work is good. I am not really mad about the situation, but I was just shocked at how much a rebuild could cost. Anyone know a ballpark figure for a Six States shaft? Their website sucks. The real pain in the ass about this whole thing is I can't pick it up until the end of the month, now. I had 200 in my budget for it this month, and the rest has to go to bills, normal operating expenses, and frigging x-mas presents.
Old December 10th, 2003, 14:04
NAXJA Forum User

I'd say you were taken to the cleaners on that one. I think some states (if not all) have laws about price quotes like that. You should not have let that slide. You could have gotten a brand new shaft from Jesse at High Angle for cheaper then that, and they are all super quality shafts. I'd go back and try to get your funds back, if that does not work, call the BBB.

-Scott