• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portal axles on Cherokee?

MacGowan-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if anyone has successfully installed portal axles on their Cherokee? If so, how much more might one expect to pay for such an upgrade in comparison to a Dana 44 or 60? I have read many articles pertaining to this upgrade, but have never seen it done to an XJ.

I was also wondering which version would be best suited for an XJ... the Volvo c303 or the Unimog 404 or 421? I know the c303 is lighter and gives 8" of lift/clearance (Unimog's might be the same clearance, not sure). I have also heard the 404 is too wide and heavy for practical use. Anyway, any response is appreciated.

This is an example of the Unimog axles:

dsc00203.jpg

http://www.killeraxles.com/html/portal_axles.html

This is an example of the Volvo axles:

Project-YJ.jpg

http://www.fourwheeler.biz/technical/articles/news_comments.asp?newsid=14

Thanks,
MacGowan-XJ

I would go with the Volvo portals, they are about the correct width..

the thing with them is that they use Dana 30 center sections so rumor is out there that a Detroit will fit in them as will a lockrite or no slip if you dont want to use the vacuum operated locker

the guy to speak to would be Ron Schneider at ORGS,.... he imports them and currently has about 3 full sets of them sitting in his s hop..

he is currently putting a set under an early bronco..

you could do it, with some major fabbing, just keep in mind that with the gear reduction on those axles, it would be very hard to drive a freeway speeds.

but if it is a traily rig.. go for it. that would be cool.. you could run stock suspension and probably fit 37's .....

i looked into this, at least briefly, and the two biggest problems are the drop is on the wrong side and the ultra-low gearing (if you need to drive it on the street).

of course both of those can be overcome, but it isn't nearly as easy as a D44 swap...

i'd say go for it and let us know!

I read that there are actually two ratio versions of the c303 axle...a fast and a slow. Fast is 5.97:1 while slow is 7.14:1. However, the "fast" ratio axles are very rare now, and may cost up to double of slow ratio ones. If someone did go through with this, I believe you guys are right... the XJ would have to be committed to offroad use only. But I have to say these axles are freakin sweet, and I'd love to see a video of them in action.

the other issue is that this swap is becoming kinda "trendy", meaning that the importers are now jacking prices for (limited) supply and demand...

see what an article in an off-road publication will do for ya'.

;)

You also have to consider the pumpkin. With the portal axles, the pumpkin tends to be up pretty high and friendly with your oil pan. To clear it, you will either need a mega-lift (bye-bye CG) or move the front axle forward, stretching the wheelbase. Note that buggy's running these axles do one or the other (or both).

How do you figure it raises the pumpkin, Portals actually drop the spindles below the axle tube, the axle tubes and pumpkin remain in the same location as always, the only way it could become an issue with the oil pan is if you lowered your suspensin :rolleyes:

MaXJohnson said:
You also have to consider the pumpkin. With the portal axles, the pumpkin tends to be up pretty high and friendly with your oil pan. To clear it, you will either need a mega-lift (bye-bye CG) or move the front axle forward, stretching the wheelbase. Note that buggy's running these axles do one or the other (or both).

uhhhhh, no, the pumkin is the same height as anything, the springs mount the same way as they do on any other axle

It would be tight with the oilpan..

keep in mind that at STOCK spring height, you would have about 6" of lift, so a 3" lift would have about 9" lift, etc..

you could always bumpstop it to keep it out of the oilpan....

Not sure where you saw them, but the ones I saw at ORGS the other day had pumpkin on the drivers side.....and the rear was centered...

Fullsizexj [/i][B]How do you figure it raises the pumpkin said:
uhhhhh, no, the pumkin is the same height as anything, the springs mount the same way as they do on any other axle

Hmmmmm, I wonder where the extra ground clearance comes from ...

Maybe it's "FM"

i'm going to be doing a flattie buggy with volvo portals, a trail only rig on 42s just as soon as i finish the axle swap on the xj... the only reason i didnt think about trying it on the xj is that i can't even fit a dana 60 up front due to my SBC's oilpan hanging so low ( the steering stabilizer has stabbed the oilpan with the dana 30 up there ) .... i say go for it... make a mean buggy out of the xj and show all the naysayers what it can do.

MaXJohnson said:
Hmmmmm, I wonder where the extra ground clearance comes from ...

Maybe it's "FM"

It comes from the spindles being moved down below the axle center line, no FM to it just common sense

The Volvo's are the way to go. Mog axles are larger and heavier. Good luck finding highspeed Volvo axles. Probably not gonna happen. Can anyone say overdrive(s). I've heard the Marmon-Herrington portals out of a Simca SUMB M600 are similar to the Volvo c303's in weight and dimensions. As to whether you can find any is another question entirely. There are also UAZ's, Tatra's, and other vehicles from European and former com bloc nations that run all kinds of sh*t with portals. Seek and ye shall find.

I am not for sure but don't the drive shaft on mog axles spin the oppisite direction I might be wrong but my buddy has a mog and I thought I remember him saying that.
As for the wrong side drop that is not that big of a problem you could just run a D300 tcase.

When the price gets too high, what do we do next? (I'm cheap.)

I think portal boxes made with Hummer gears, specifically three gears to correct the rotation, would be great, Bolt on, too - for Danas, 9 inch, toyos, and 14 bolts. Just bolt on the back, takes a double splined axle, and hope you want to run a common wheel pattern. In front, same thing with ball joint mounts. It seems the same stub axle components could be used front and rear to simplify things.

It seems like Warn or Mile Marker would jump on this - I know there is a limited market -

correct me if i am wrong but i believe killer axle makes a " hum9" axle that uses dana 60 and hummer parts that gives the portal effect.. but i may be wrong...

the hum-9 is a 9" ford center and hummer dropboxes.

2"stuck here this year"offroad

Back