• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

p0351, p0352, p0353 - won't start

Jeremy_Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I put this over on JeepForum, too, but thought you guys might have some insight.

Really quick background
My XJ was originally 2WD, blown engine, auto. Now it's got a crate motor with less than 20k on it, it's 4wd, and it's a 5-speed. It's been running perfect for about a year now.

What happened
I was driving home I think 2 weeks ago now, cruising down the interstate with the cruise on. Got about 5 miles from my house and out of now where the cruise kicks off and I slowly lost power and then it just shut down. Temps were good, oil pressure was good. It sat there and would crank but not fire.

What we've done
My dad was a mechanic many years ago, so he's been looking at it with me. We've pulled the coil, put plugs in it, and held it against the valve cover - it gets spark. We've pulled the fuel rail and primed the line and we get fuel spray. We checked fuel pressure because my first thought was fuel pump since that pump is one of the very few things I haven't replaced on this thing and it's got 185k on it - it has 50psi. We replaced the cam sensor (as per suggestion from a google search) - no difference. We replaced the crank sensor, as per result of another google search, no change. All my grounds look really good (the engine was replaced with a crate motor in 2015 I believe and all the wires look clean). We put the ohm meter in several spots on the coil pack and it seems to be all good. All the injectors are getting the same voltage. So we appear to have fuel, we have spark, and we have air ... but we don't have a running engine. We're getting down to the wire now with winter coming and this is my winter vehicle - so help would be appreciated.

Current Thoughts
Could this be the PCM? This seems unlikely to me since we are getting spark and fuel but I guess it could be possible. My issue here is finding one for a manual. I could use one for an auto and just deal with the check engine I've been getting for a year saying I don't have a torque converter, but I'd rather replace it with a manual one, and they appear to be hard to find.

Could this be the coil pack? The coil pack was replaced right before we put the engine in - so it has maybe 20k miles on it and, like I said, appears to have correct voltage/resistance.

This would lead me to "check" the grounds and wiring, looking good doesn't count!

P0351 Ignition Coil # 1 Primary Circuit Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.
P0352 Ignition Coil # 2 Primary Circuit Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.
P0353 Ignition Coil # 3 Primary Circuit Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.

Back