• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newer gas tank in an older XJ

1992xjJames

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone put a plastic tank out of a 98 and up XJ in an older XJ? Iv'e got a 1992 with 4.0 and the tank is by far the worst tank I have ever seen. I'm surprised its not leaking. Jeep had been sitting for the last 12 years with practically no gas in it. The gas turned to sludge and the top looks like it will spring a leak at any time. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
You can get a brand new tank delivered from RockAuto for less than $100. In my book, it isn't worth the hassle.

Thanks green Mesa xj. I was planning on using my new pump that I was going to install before I discovered the inside of my tank. I'll make it fit in the bracket. I thought about buying a new tank, but I would need a new sending unit assembly also. I can get a plastic tank with sending unit at my local upullit for 29.00. I'm on a budget right now or I'd just get everything new.

I just recently read on here that someone did it, I think it was Anak. He said it went right in. As you know, the pump and sending unit will be different. And you won't be able to get your pump out from the front anymore, it's on the top of the plastic tanks. Also, you might run into a problem with different fuel pressure.. something to look into.

All of the above - plus, the later fuel pumps have no fuel return line as do the earlier cars.

As Green Mesa said, on later cars, the fuel pressure regulator is built into the pump
assembly and so you will have to do some creative fuel plumbing in order to get it
to work.

The resistive value(s) on the fuel gauge sender is probably different, too.

Sender is going to be different too, so if knowing how much fuel you have left is a priority it's definitely not worth the swap. As suggested, just buy a new tank of the proper vintage.

Back