• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLX devices afr module MS3 install

Fringeless

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of doing a write up of an mS3 install to post here and on Jeep Strokers Forum. It is installed on a 92 running a 4.6 stroker @ 9.7:1 with stock trans, gauge and a/c function. However, I am I have run into an issue. Before I put in the MS3, my PLX devices gen 4 AFR module and gauge quit working. While under warranty, PLX dicked me around via email saying that the module was fine and that I needed a new O2 sensor. Well new sensor did not fix problem. I opened the module to find a burnt transistor. I contacted them to show them my finding. Richard @ PLX told me that since I opened it, the warranty is void, and that I must send it in for repair @ 99$ or buy a new board at the same price. I told him that I would like the component numbers (cannot read numbers burned off) so that I could repair the board myself. Initially, he agreed, but later responded
"Due to proprietary reasons, I am not able to give schematics or any information regarding the build or components used on the board for the SM-AFR or any products. I do apologize Steven, I was not aware of this policy until connecting with the tech. I tried, but unfortunately I can not obtain them nor give them out."
20161026_122352.jpg
20161026_122352.jpg.html

20161026_122352.jpg

Does anyone have the gen 4 PLX module, I just need a good high res close up of that sucker so that I can replace a few resistors and the transistor Q1? Asking for help. :skull2:

Last edited:
Hi...i am a new user here. I don't have Gen4 module with me, but i faced the same issue with my module. I think it will be traceable and you can easily replace after removing the burnt one and cleaning the place. It will be visible.

The most common reason for failure on that part would be a reverse voltage or over voltage.

If you can find the part info, I can clean up the board and replace the part for you. I am an Electrical Engineer.

Under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637), they can't refuse the warranty unless they can prove that the act of opening up the case actually caused the failure, and since you were dealing with them about the issue prior to opening the case, they don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Last edited:
Back