NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Intermountain Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Intermountain Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old March 31st, 2017, 17:55
www.urfracing.com

Moab camping?

A couple friends and I are going to be in Moab for a couple nights at the end of the month and I was looking for recommendations on decent campgrounds that have at least showers. Was looking at Moab Rim Campark, is that place any good? I haven't been to Moab in about six years so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old March 31st, 2017, 19:47
NAXJA Member

Re: Moab camping?

We were just down there (for the first time) a couple weeks ago. We stayed the first night at the very first place after you cross the river coming into town. Moab Valley RV and Campground I think. They have a nice pool and large hot tub, showers, laundry, a convenience store, a playground for the kids. It was great in every single way except for the noise of being right on the highway and they don't allow fires in their bbq's, though charcoal briquets are OK. I'd think if you were in a hard-sided RV and ok with a little highway noise this is great. Highway noise is one of the few negative comments you'll read about Moab Rim as well.

Where we wound up being more in our element was in BLM sites out several miles down the Sand Flats area. People haul trailers out there too.

One great thing to know is that there is a pool in town run by the city with showers where you can clean up and have a nice swim for a few bucks. Not sure where you are from, but I find in the dry heat I don't feel as yucky at the end of the day as you would somewhere with humidity.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 18:31
NAXJA Forum User

I agree with the info above. Canyonlands RV Park is right downtown and a decent, clean KOA-type campground. They have a cold pool this time of year, but good showers. Many restaurants and stores are within ready walking distance.

Jared
Old May 2nd, 2017, 16:35
www.urfracing.com

Just an update.

We stayed two nights at Moab Rim Campark and it was decent enough. It's South of town so it was pretty quiet for tent camping but the spots are really small. The rest of the trip was spent camping on the trail.

Wow, how Moab has been built up. The bridge at the Colorado river is even four lanes now.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 22:29
NAXJA Forum User

No kidding, it also surprises me a little more each visit how much UTV's are taking over the off-road scene there. I've tried crawling with those belt-driven CVT's and it's a real pain in the arse.

Glad you found a good spot to call home for a couple nights. We'll be at the Slickrock Campground on the North end of town in about a week and a half.

Jared
Old May 8th, 2017, 19:00
www.urfracing.com

Yes, UTVs everywhere and actually we saw mountain bikes and dirt bikes everywhere as well. The only place we saw no one was in Lockhart Basin.

Heck, some pics.

Bryan C. and the poster formerly known as FarmerMatt...

Bryan on White Rim...

White Rim was quite the drive...

...we did about 65 miles of dirt the first day.

We saw no one on the Lockhart Basin trail...

Good times.
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:41
NAXJA Member #120

Moab Valley RV and Campground
Canyonlands RV Park
Moab Rim Campark

Any of these good options for a big group? Say a bunch of folks from coming in October 2018? Moab Valley looks good on the internet except for no campfires.

Jared, is Slickrock campground still a crap hole? That's been home base for the last few big events, but each time it seems like it's worse than the last time.

Thanks for the pics Jes...makes me giddy about the 2018 trip...

mac 'looking at options' gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99