• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overland/Car Camping shelter recommendations

Lurch

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sick of using my little two man backpacking/mountaineering tents and air mattresses for overland or weekend Jeep camping trips. They're small, a pain to setup quickly, not that comfortable and taking a beating because I'm using them for something other than what they're made for.

Ideally I'd like something that will comfortably fit two people plus a medium size dog on occasion. Right now I sleep on a 4" air mat on the ground, but am open to the idea of a cot or something else if its more comfortable. I hate pounding 15 stakes in the ground and having guy lines everywhere, but maybe this is unavoidable.

Budget >$300.
Also, I'm 6'6" so it needs to be big.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
uqyquvur.jpg

:D :D :D

I got a big 18x10 tent from walmart for 100$ online, seam sealed it, and siliconed it for waterproofing, then bought a 40$ double tall queen air mattress and a queen sized sleeping bag. I sleep really good and have room for 2 additional queen air mattresses with enough room for 2 feet or so around each bed. I say do that. it'll be around 200$ total.

There's good tents out there that should fit your budget. Check out the KELTY line. Good tents at a good price. Whatever you get stay away from fiberglass poles.

Rooftop tents are awesome but $$$$$$$$$. We're talking 1000+ dollars. They are great and comfy and you can use them for storage but expensive.

I use a KELTY Trail Ridge 3, but they make bigger models and they use aluminum poles :)

How big do you want to go I think their trail ridge versions go up to 6 person.

There's good tents out there that should fit your budget. Check out the KELTY line. Good tents at a good price. Whatever you get stay away from fiberglass poles.

Rooftop tents are awesome but $$$$$$$$$. We're talking 1000+ dollars. They are great and comfy and you can use them for storage but expensive.

I use a KELTY Trail Ridge 3, but they make bigger models and they use aluminum poles :)

How big do you want to go I think their trail ridge versions go up to 6 person.

Yah, RTT tents seem nice and set up quick, but they're ridiculously expensive and I don't want anything on my roof. I would definitely consider that option if I had a trailer...and more disposable income.

I found this, over my budget but looks pretty awesome:

http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-touring-camping-accessories/skydome-swag/

And this, right at $300:

http://www.oztent.us/malamoorange/malamoo-x-tra

Kelty is a good name in tents, the first backpacking trip I ever went on with my dad was in a canvas Kelty. I'll check out their stuff.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Kelty, Sierra Designs (one of their tents has been in service for me for years), or REI for a budget minded tent. Best bang for the buck I would lean towards the REI Half Dome 2+. 98"x56" footprint gives space for a twin air mattress and space on the side for the dog. Much more headroom than the two backpacking tents I haul around.

Here are my weekend or month long camping rigs, yeah I know I do take the kitchen sink and my queen size bed. MH is a 37' diesel pusher with a 12.5 genset. Joking aside I can't sleep on the ground anymore but still have a tent canopy setup that attach's to my roof rack and goes to the rear for about 20' total with 12 enclosed for sleeping.

Last edited:
Back