• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can a Detroit Locker handle 35's on Dana 30?

thebyus

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running 35 inch tires on Dana30 up front (8.25 in the rear), geared to 4.56 on the stock 27 spline with np231 tc.

I tend to do more poorly serviced fire roads, exploring in the desert, but I do some crawling as well. Going over obstacles I tend to be a creeper rather than a gunner.

I'd like to add at least a front locker to the rig, and given my druthers, I go for an OX, but at almost $1k for just the front, I'm not sure I'm willing to pony up the dough right now.

I know that many people have issues running such big tires on a lunchbox locker (i.e. blowing up the carrier in the diff), so if I don't go with a selectable, can a Detroit locker handle the torque of 35 inch tires?

Will the Detroit even engage if I am creeping instead of gunning?

I've run a Detroit in both a D35 and D44. I've broken a ton of axles on both, but never broken the Detroit.

I know I won't be the only one to say to look at the Yukon grizzly. Operates the same, cheaper, and can be had with a lifetime warranty

I have one in my 44. It's been around since the 90s and still going strong. I see it as a good upgrade for a 30

I know I won't be the only one to say to look at the Yukon grizzly. Operates the same, cheaper, and can be had with a lifetime warranty

I keep hearing people say Yukon's are cheaper, but everywhere I look, they are virtually the same price, about $575 for either.

Is there some secret place to buy a Yukon Grizzly that I can't find?

It sounds like you have good driving habits, so you should be fine with a Detroit. A good idea while you're in there would be doing full circle clips on the 760x u joints if you have stock axle shafts.

It's not the Detroit to worry about it's the ring and pinion. I had chromos , truss, and a
Grizzly and started breaking ring and pinioned.

Been running a detroit, 4.88's, 35's & D30 on pretty rough trails for awhile without issue. Go for it, but when you're on that obsticle and you feel it bind up... ease off and try another line.

Detroits are pretty tough but when you have an axleshaft failure they break internally. The internal parts can't handle the shock. I had a Detroit that kept breaking after an axleshaft failure and I got tired of buying expensive replacement parts and bought a grizzly.

Back