• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Tail Pipe Clearance

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
<yes, living in the salt belt sucks>

Finally got the Jeep out of the shop yesterday. One of the things that has been bugging me every time I looked at it on the jack stands was the way the end of the tail pipe ran so close to the shackle bolt.

The shackle is aftermarket, forget exactly what, maybe two inches longer than stock.

I cut the end off the shackle bolt that sticks out, it just clears but of course it will hit occasionally, especially when cornering in a left hand turn and it makes noise.

cut_bolt.jpg

Ideas on an elegant way to solve this? I could add slightly longer shackles but that will just make it interfere more I think. That plus I'm content with the height of the Jeep as it is - right on the cusp of being annoying for my wife to crawl into. For a long range overlanding Jeep that is a big deal for me... too tall and I have to hear the complaints.

I fangled up something to hold the pipe at the rear hanger. I have some "adjustability" there before I make something more permanent but before I do that I thought I'd ask for ideas. I'd also like to keep the pipe tucked as high as possible.

fangled_exh_hanger.jpg

I've been eyeing the shackle relocation boxes but I don't think that will really solve this problem.

In the ~11 years I've been on this forum I don't think I've ever posted a picture of my "primary" Cherokee. Just for fun:

Jeep_2014-07-07.jpg

That was me doing it... my workshop/garage. Sorry for the confusion.

I've had the same issue.
One thing... definitely *don't* trim the pipe back and let the exhaust hit the shackle. Speeds up the rust / crap factor by about 10x.
A small dent in the pipe would work, but then, you've dented your exhaust pipe.
You could run a turn-down alongside the leaf spring before the shackle.
The exhaust shop I took my XJ to for a Jegs 2.5" kit install did a "meh" job, but the guy did manage to get the tail pipe past the shackle & the gas tank skid without it making any noise or banging. So there's always the "take it to a pro" solution.

I dislike seeing exhaust pipes now.
But, maybe bend it up, to the side, and down past the QP? Enough, of course, to clear the left spring/tire being stuffed up.

About the only thing that I can think of is adding a turn down that dips below the shackle bolt just in time to not hit. That'll mean the exhaust is under the Jeep... the bumper is flush with the tailgate but the tip would still be under the Jeep. IIRC local regs say it has to go past the body. Not that I expect to get pulled over for that but still.

It'll be painful to cut that Gibson stainless pipe. Can't think of any other solution though.

Last edited:
I have mine exiting to the side just forward of the shackle. I have extended shackles and ironman shackle relocation brackets too. Its the perfect place for it if you have room.

I had the same issue. I held a beefy piece of round tube up to it and whacked it a couple of times with the 3 lb sledge. It created a nice little dimple to clear the shackle bolt.

I had the same issue. I held a beefy piece of round tube up to it and whacked it a couple of times with the 3 lb sledge. It created a nice little dimple to clear the shackle bolt.

I think we have a winner.

Either that or say screw the tail pipe & go side pipes, because they are awesome. Build them out of 2" ID DOM and you don't need a skid plate for it, either.
Hell, make 2.5" OD x 2" ID side pipes & weld them in place of your rockers. Problem solved.

this is a pretty simple solution.
i have also seen tailpipes "squashed" into an oval shape to help with clearance. another suggestion would be run a new tailpipe with tubing .25" smaller to help with clearance, you might actually pick up a little low-end power at the same time. it's an old hot rodder trick i learned back when hot rods were made in the US of A.

Pictures always help. Here's my side exit:

Pictures always help. Here's my side exit:

Does that clear the leafs at full bump? I've been thinking about doing mine like that when I get shackle relocators and longer shackles.

Not too much movement at the end of the leaf spring. There's plenty of room.

I get an annoying click on my left handed turns too because of the minimal clearance between the skid plate and shackle bolt. maybe I'll go with the dent method.

Back