NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Midwest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Midwest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:35
NAXJA Member

XJ Expedition Trailer

After deciding we wanted a Roof top tent , I looked into what the guys that had them had posted about their experiences.
This made me decide I did not want to mount it on my jeep but on a M416 trailer , so we bought the tent and began looking .

Since buying the tent we have mounted it over the bed of the tow rig quite few times and Love it , but I want to be able to wheel out to a great spot and Camp so I had been searching for a M416.
After narrowly missing out on one for like $500 I kind of gave up on the M416.

One of my close friends Chachi wrecked his Xj on the highway and
I remembered seeing a hacked Xj into a trailer that looked pretty cool , It used to be the XXXpedition rig .
This is a nice looking example,
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931446

He bought another Xj the same color and we started by cutting the front off of the wrecked XJ, And then he let it sit for like a year.
After He started getting tickets for it calling it junk he gave it to me for Free !

Anyway that's when I let go of the M416 dream and started into Making my own XJ trailer and mounting the RTT on it .

I have never built a trailer and kind of just flew into this blind , so feel free to Give me advice !
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:47
NAXJA Member

Re: XJ Expedition Trailer

So Far It has been built all out of Scrap , I measure cut and clean the parts and they get welded by Chachi .

The First thing we did after I got it home was weld the rear Hatch Off My 01 to cover most of the front hole .

The hatch had been backed into a tree Wheeling and when I replaced the glass the Defrost was Bad , between that and it being dented I replaced it with one I got off Flex at WF .

I also used some Box tubing I got from the scrap area of where I buy my steel.
it was only $40 for a couple big sticks of it and the only metal I have bought for this so far.

Last edited by OutkastBoss; August 18th, 2013 at 12:01.
Old August 18th, 2013, 11:59
NAXJA Member

Then the Fridge stopped working and ruined all of my food , the up side was I now had a large Table to make cuts on now that it is laying on its side out back.

It did not take me long to decide to start cutting sheet metal off of it for the trailer Build , that I used to skin the front corners.

Old August 18th, 2013, 12:06
NAXJA Member

I used More of the Scrap Box tubing I bought To build the Roof rack to mount the RTT .

We tied the two front and then rear feet for the rack together with a 1" flat bar between them to spread the weight out and give us more area to weld .

Last edited by OutkastBoss; August 18th, 2013 at 12:30.
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:13
NAXJA Member

Chachi was able to get a hold of some free Heavy duty Box tubing So the project Continued on .

My first thought was it was too big and heavy to be useful.
We figured out if we cut one side it would just slide right over the unirail , So we cut Two that would slide over the rails back to the Front leaf mount .

Here it is fitted up ,

Last edited by OutkastBoss; August 18th, 2013 at 12:26.
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:26
NAXJA Member

Now I have to Figure where I want to go from here I have a bunch of that Huge Box tubing But it is kinda too heavy I think to make the rest of the tongue out of .
I am thinking angle together at 45 deg. and add a pintle Ring and trailer Jack , Wire lights and finish capping off front . Then get registered as homemade trailer .

Also have to figure out what to do with the front open end of rockers.
I had considered using them for the trailer frame to come out of so they didnt get cut at a curve and skinned originally.
Also need to figure out where to mount the E-Brake handle , I am thinking out front on the tongue area .

It would have been cool to be done before Moab but , I am doubting I can get It finished and thoroughly tested locally In the rocks up on Bald Knob .

Last edited by OutkastBoss; August 18th, 2013 at 12:37.
Old August 18th, 2013, 14:23
Past MWC President

Dude! Gonna be sweet.

Subscribed!
member #285

My build thread: Out of Misery II
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:11
NAXJA Forum User

Definitely kool!!
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:33
NAXJA Forum User

I am extremely jealous right now! I've been planning on doing the same thing forever now.
Here's a photochop of my plans.

Suggestion:
Maybe use another set of tail lights for the front corners of the trailer. You can use the amber for running lights and set up the whites on a seperate switch to be used for work lights. Will come in handy when trying to hook up at night. Maybe connect the license plate lights up to those as well. You can paint over the red section to cover that up. Will help clean up the front corners of the hatch. Thats my current plan anyway.

definitely subscribed!
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:30
NAXJA Forum User

XJ Expedition Trailer

I like the fact you are only building it forward (backward?) of the rear doors. I've seen a few of these where the guys go all the way to the firewall and doing that throws the weight distribution way off. On a trail you really don't want a crapload of tongue weight.

I will be watching this one closely.
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:00
Past MWC President

Re: Re: XJ Expedition Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoab View Post
I like the fact you are only building it forward (backward?) of the rear doors. I've seen a few of these where the guys go all the way to the firewall and doing that throws the weight distribution way off. On a trail you really don't want a crapload of tongue weight.

I will be watching this one closely.
Totally agree with the cut location. It seems that it will have a nice balance.

Hurry up and get it done.
member #285

My build thread: Out of Misery II
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:23
NAXJA Member

He needs to hurry up and get it done for MOAB

2000 sport, Full width D-44 HP and 9". Clayton long arms, 35 x 12.50 Kevlars....Lots of other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanR View Post
"Obama-care, Efficiency of the DMV, Compassion of the IRS"
Old August 20th, 2013, 13:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Eric View Post
I am extremely jealous right now! I've been planning on doing the same thing forever now.
definitely subscribed!
Well now you can see how mine pans out before doing yours .
Thanks for the Ideas !

@ Moab and Wheeler , Originally wanting the M416 pushed me to keep it as small and maneuverable as possible .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM-ROD View Post
He needs to hurry up and get it done for MOAB
That is the goal , I have the wheesl in motion to make that trip happen and I want my trailer there !
Old August 20th, 2013, 14:24
NAXJA Member

Okay I am on the fence here and I need to Decide Today about my lunette for the trailer , so I can get the parts ordered .

I really like the M416's rotating sprung lunette , so when I looked for that style I was disappointed to find that this is a military only thing that was only done on specific trailers .

In looking I have found that for what I would have to pay to get one now (when I need it ) , I could pay a little more and get a Lock N Roll Off road setup or something like it .

After some research It seems The Off road specific hitches can get bound up and bent when jackknifed but are nice and quiet.
The pintle style wont bend but could break your mount If jackknifed hard , they are tougher.
I also read that they spin too freely and your trailer can roll too easily.

I saw a post somewhere where the guy said he found in the manual for his military trailer that you tighten the rotating lunette to the point it takes a 3 ft breaker bar to rotate it .

He claimed this resistance forced the trailer to actually use it suspension first and then when it rotates past a 45 or so where a solid lunette would bind it would have enough resistance to possibly prevent a rollover , while allowing enough movement for it not to bind up .

If that is the case which seems to make sense then I would prefer a rotating pintle over the off road specific ones .

Here is what I have found ,

A cheap adjustable solid mount Lunette That will bind when twisted past a 45 or so .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNETTE-RING...4d7eef&vxp=mtr

Or This military sprung Lunette I found On CL , It looks like there is a tab on top to prevent it from rotating though and its hard to tell size from the pic .
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/3958280273.html

And Finally Option 3

I can find a M415 Lunette for like $200 here and in a couple other places
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221267781975... 4.m1423.l2649

And the mount here for $75 ( everwhere else I found it it was like $200)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330940646413... 4.m1423.l2648

Or I could make one of these on a mount where it spins .

I suppose If I just do a solid one I could get a rotating pintle For the Jeep to grab the lunette But I bet all of those spin freely .

I have $40 into this trailer so far so spending almost $300 to get the m416 pintle seems crazy but I like the setup A lot .

Any opinions ?

Last edited by OutkastBoss; August 20th, 2013 at 14:42.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutkastBoss View Post
I have $40 into this trailer so far so spending almost $300 to get the m416 pintle seems crazy but I like the setup A lot .

Any opinions ?
I agree, too much to spend, with time you'll find one for somewhere around $50 at a surplus place or yard/junk sale...

For the time being why not use some of that metal and make your own setup? Depending on how you go about it, you can use bolt tension to give you some resistance, something like this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/t...38/index2.html

Not as good as the M416 but good enough in the interim?

Looking great!!