• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Higher spring rate coils

GordoSmasho

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
So I have re 3.5 lift coils up front and dodge van 5leaf packs out back. The rear has a great ride and flexes great when in extremes. I find the the front flexes quite a bit easier though. So I'm looking to get the front up to 4.5 inches. I already have the back worked out with shackle and relocation. I need stiffer front coil to make the rear work more and give more balance to the overall performance in the rocks. From my calculations the 3.5 re springs are around 200#. My research is finding that a lot of guys like running coils that are ~250#. I'm looking to order a set of coils this week and need to find some quick. Also wondering if it would be wise to try and find some 5.5 or 6" springs and cut them down to get a higher spring rate.

Before answering your question I have one of my own.

What shocks are you currently running on your rig? The issue you're having may be related to having the wrong shocks.

Up front I have some cheap and really stiff i might add white rockets. out back I have the cross enterprises shock hoop and basic procomp whites. The shocks are set at the outmost position on the hoop. The back end is really soft on the street.

When I go over speed bumps the front doesnt even cycle. The rear gets about one good cycle.

I will say that as soon as i can get this figured out I will be ordering new shocks from serious

In its current state. I can only stuff the rear tire if im going up hill and more of the vehicle weight is shifted back. On level gound it doesn't seem to work as much. because the front is softer. Its not a huge difference and I could probably live with it but I'm looking to get a bit more lift and cant find any 4.5" springs with a higher rate. I used to have spacers but I'm trying to get away from that.

Last edited:
I would prefer not to soften the rear. As right now it is pretty soft and I haul equipment and tow periodically.

I have a set of 7.5" lift springs I'm thinking of cutting down so maybe someone can check my math a bit.

Here are the specs
Coil wire size .685"
Outside coil diam 5.45
Active coils 14
free height 23

My calculation put it at 204#

If I cut 2 coils off it should put it should end up being 238# and be about 3" shorter. That would land me about 4.5" and a higher spring rate.

I have a set of 7.5" lift springs I'm thinking of cutting down so maybe someone can check my math a bit.

Here are the specs
Coil wire size .685"
Outside coil diam 5.45
Active coils 14
free height 23

My calculation put it at 204#

If I cut 2 coils off it should put it should end up being 238# and be about 3" shorter. That would land me about 4.5" and a higher spring rate.

Does anybody have any input on this. I'll probably end up being a guinee pig. I'm ok with that though.

Back