NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 17th, 2013, 20:28
NAXJA Forum User

Factory X'fer case skidplate bolt nutzerts stripped, now what?

I went to install my browndog motor mounts tonite. In the instructions, it says to loosen and or remove the tranfer case rubber mount bolts so as not to ruin the xfer case mounts when jacking up the engine to ease removal of the factory motor mounts.

Well i have the factory UPCOUNTRY package which includes the factory xfer case skid plate. I went to remove the skid plate to gain access to the rear most two bolts of the xfer case mount and all three bolts just spin.

Two bolts are fastened into the xfer case crossmember by what i assume are nut zerts. The third is bolted into the driver side unibody rail by what i also assume is a nut zert.

Is my only option to grind the heads off all three bolts and reinstall new nut zerts and bolts ?

This project is turning out to be a Pain in the butt. I already broke one of the three bolts off that hold the airbox into the engine bay. The 'nut' that belongs to the broken bolt is welded onto the sheetmetal in the driver side fender. Instead of drilling out the bolt and reinstalling, i think im just gonna break the nut off its weak spotwelds to the inner fender, and replace with a fresh new washer and nut underneath, and fresh bolt from above. SIGH!
Old March 17th, 2013, 20:32
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Factory X'fer case skidplate bolt nutzerts stripped, now what?

Use a chisel or a pry bar between the skid and the frame rail/cross member to apply pressure to the nut-certs. If you keep pressure on them, they will hold enough to get the bolts out. Then you can try re-setting them, tack welding them, or replacing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old March 17th, 2013, 23:13
NAXJA Forum User

Cut off the bolt on the frame rail, wrenched the other two off with a lot of heat (mapp gas), aggravation and leverage as suggested. Ty.

Going to replace nutzerts as i dont see another less time consuming way to reattatch. I'll be applying liberal amounts of locktite to zerts and antisieze to bolts.

I guess i'll try starting on the tranny mount bolts and brown dogs tomorrow. Cheese and crackers!
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:59
NAXJA Forum User

Can anyone please tell me where i can get replacement metric 'whatchamacallits' and the tool to set them ?

Are these officially called rivnuts or nutzerts ?

I googled a few places but some kits for example cost 225 dollars at fastenal .
Harborfreight doesn't come up with anything which SHOCKS me cause they are my go to place for affordable, otherwise expensive proprietary tools.

Maybe im searching wrong. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:05
NAXJA Member

you don't need the fancy tool to set them.

You can use a bolt, a nut and a few wrenches to do it.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut-tool.html
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:14
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you ! Can anyone tell me what size zerts to use and where to get them ? Ty
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:37
Freakish Hand Strength

Get some nut-certs/rivet-nuts for a TJ from the Dealership. Also try Fastenal or nuttycompany. Use what ever size fits the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....