• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing middle (crossmember) exhaust hanger

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
I searched some but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm trying to figure out how to replace the rubber exhaust hanger in the middle of the jeep located above the crossmember. It seems to be riveted together or something. This is the one I'm talking about:

Jeep-Exhausthanger.jpg

I've got the same problem. It caused a crack around the inlet to the muffler.

I checked the parts list and didn't find a part number so I'm guessing it wasn't meant to be a replaceable item.

Hopefully someone has come up with a solution.

There is a part number for that - it's just the rubber bushing inside.

Check the hard part, you'll see that one side should be a set of tabs bent over the rubber bushing to retain it. Bend those tabs straight, push out the old bushing, shove the new one in, bend those tabs back down.

I believe Morris and RockAuto both carry that bushing, and it's a fairly cheap part. It's just a pain in the arse to replace (I've done a couple.)

Sweet! Thanks 5-90! Guess I didn't look hard enough. I'll check again when I get home.

If you can't see the tabs from one end, check the other. I'm sure you'll see them there, they won't be welded, you'll just have to do some work to bend them out (bending them in is easy enough to do - just use a mallet and a punch. Don't do them overly tight - I find that leaving them out about 30* from the face of the bushing makes it easier to get them for the next time, and saves you work.

There is a part number for that - it's just the rubber bushing inside.

Check the hard part, you'll see that one side should be a set of tabs bent over the rubber bushing to retain it. Bend those tabs straight, push out the old bushing, shove the new one in, bend those tabs back down.

I believe Morris and RockAuto both carry that bushing, and it's a fairly cheap part. It's just a pain in the arse to replace (I've done a couple.)

Thanks, I ordered this:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/insulator-support-bracket-53000101.html

I crawled underneath the thing and looked though, and I still don't really get which way the bushing will come out. The top obviously doesn't have tabs so it would have to be from the side I suppose. I think it may come out towards the exhaust, which means the exhaust will be in the way. Do you happen to remember 5-90?

Thanks, I ordered this:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/insulator-support-bracket-53000101.html

I crawled underneath the thing and looked though, and I still don't really get which way the bushing will come out. The top obviously doesn't have tabs so it would have to be from the side I suppose. I think it may come out towards the exhaust, which means the exhaust will be in the way. Do you happen to remember 5-90?

Yurf.

Honestly, it could go either way. Doesn't matter how you cut it - you're going to want to unbolt the cat flange anyhow, support the driveline, and get the crossmember out where you can work on it anyhow - it ain't happening in situ!

If you can't find the tabbed side, I don't see any reason why you can't make an access with a Dremel and patience (I wouldn't use an angle grinder down there - you want to keep the kerf fairly small, and the Dremel will allow you more control anyhow.)

The last time I had to do it (2-3 years ago,) I had the whole exhaust system out anyhow - since it needed a collector flange packing and a rear hanger anyhow. So, I had the whole system on the deck under the truck anyhow.

Ok, well I will probably give it a try next weekend, thanks for the help!

I do what I can.

Worst case? Going by the pic, I'd drill out the spotwelds to change the bushing, and resecure it with #10 machine screws. Use fender washers on the crossmember side, use washers on the bracket side under the head (you may have to grind a flat for them to work, or skip them altogether worst case) and either use Nylon collar locking nuts or use a punch to deform the last 1-2 threads on the nut - screw it on clean threads first.

Either will work better than LocTite to secure the screws, and that's how I'd do it if it came to it.

Well I went back and checked and sure enough there is no part number for my '98.

There's a picture of the plate with the rubber bushing inside the little box but no part number.

Not sure what the earlier models have for a hanger but I don't think the part northwestxj found will work for me without modding because the hanger on mine is a round rod. And the website says that part fits up to a '95.

I'll stop by the dealer on the way home tonight and see what they say.

Edit: DOH! I remembered northwestxj posted a pic...... Yeah that's the same as mine. So how does a round rod fit into that little smiley shaped slot?

Last edited:
Yeah that's the same as mine. So how does a round rod fit into that little smiley shaped slot?

5205 8882 is the part number for the later bracket with that bushing. That bushing is not sold separately for the later years (at least not that I could find, and it doesn't have its own part number in the book). There were a couple of different hanger setups used, and the bushing for the earlier models was offered separately (obviously).

It might fit with a little fiddling, but that's not the "right" bushing, which is why it has a different hole in it.

DEA A5208 looks pretty close.

A5208.jpg

I saw it at Rockauto the other day listed under transmission mount.

That is interesting. I don't recall having seen that before.

Last edited:
Well I went back and checked and sure enough there is no part number for my '98.

There's a picture of the plate with the rubber bushing inside the little box but no part number.

Not sure what the earlier models have for a hanger but I don't think the part northwestxj found will work for me without modding because the hanger on mine is a round rod. And the website says that part fits up to a '95.

I'll stop by the dealer on the way home tonight and see what they say.

Edit: DOH! I remembered northwestxj posted a pic...... Yeah that's the same as mine. So how does a round rod fit into that little smiley shaped slot?

RENIX uses a crescent-shaped metal tab, I guess later models use a bent solid rod instead. I'm used to RENIX (I wonder why...)

RENIX uses a crescent-shaped metal tab, I guess later models use a bent solid rod instead. I'm used to RENIX (I wonder why...)

Disclaimer: Not trying to hijack this thread, it's similar in nature.

I thought I'd add:

..and there's my problem too. I did not see a way to remove the bushing without grinding off the rivets. Didn't, the bushing is in good shape. Then noticed the crescent shaped hole.

I just replaced my crossmember with a JY version for the auto swap. Noticed the tab and rod are missing, as in not welded to the pipe. Is there a part for that?...or just something easy to fabricate?

Disclaimer: Not trying to hijack this thread, it's similar in nature.

I thought I'd add:

..and there's my problem too. I did not see a way to remove the bushing without grinding off the rivets. Didn't, the bushing is in good shape. Then noticed the crescent shaped hole.

I just replaced my crossmember with a JY version for the auto swap. Noticed the tab and rod are missing, as in not welded to the pipe. Is there a part for that?...or just something easy to fabricate?

I figure you can pick a mild steel rod, bend it to fit, and then weld it or clamp it to the pipe. Shouldn't be overly difficult.

Well...

No.

According to the FSM, the part is called "Transmission Support" and is a bracket that bolts under the transmission mount and has no other purpose other than to hold the exhaust off the cross member.

I found a picture of a used one, but no PN.
May be discontinued or Dealer only.

Here is an ebay listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherok...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d3b5a03ae

I tried looking up the PN referenced, but it goes nowhere on the web.

Edit:
For a 1998 and up Rockauto does list something they call a "Cushion".
Same as the part listed earlier DEA Part # A5208.
NAPA has the same part BK 6201755 part ref DEA.

"Beating Dead Horse today"

Poor Horsie...

Long live the Horse!
:D

Last edited:
Dang! That's a whole lot more money than an Isolator (Cushion).

I haven't replaced one yet. Did anyone take pictures when they did theirs?

Do you just drill out the rivets, replace the bushing, and bolt or rivet it back up?
I know 5-90 mentioned something about tabs?

I've been searching for the rubber insert for my '99 and can't find one. I can't even find raw rubber to make my own.

I was thinking about sleeving my existing rubber piece but gave up (for the time being).

Back