• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 94 Didnt Pass Smog ?!?!?!?!

cz94xj

NAXJA Forum User
So mine didn't pass I put a pic up of the smog paper. I really want your guys
Help. I took it to another guy he told me the the fuel lock ring isn't sealed properly. That's as much as I know. This weekend I'm going under to take a look at it myself. Would aprecciate any thoughts inputs and solutions thanks guys

IMG_20120423_121355.jpg

there really is not that much to it. it is a simple system. i am betting you probably do not have a vacuum testing tool. (a mityvac tool will work) so you are going to have to check everything one by one. start with a new gas cap. you can find a diagram online of the system and how it is routed, but by just looking underneath and tracing it from your fuel tank up to the engine bay is easy. from the tank to the charcoal canister most of the line is metal and those rarely get damaged. but the rubber hoses do deteriorate and need to be replaced. it is no fun and your hands are going to get dirty reaching around checking all the lines, but i bet you find the culprit pretty quickly. mine was just after the canister and behind the engine.

Well, it says it's disconnected. Plenty of threads here on it. Maybe just a missing or bad/broken vac line.

there really is not that much to it. it is a simple system. i am betting you probably do not have a vacuum testing tool. (a mityvac tool will work) so you are going to have to check everything one by one. start with a new gas cap. you can find a diagram online of the system and how it is routed, but by just looking underneath and tracing it from your fuel tank up to the engine bay is easy. from the tank to the charcoal canister most of the line is metal and those rarely get damaged. but the rubber hoses do deteriorate and need to be replaced. it is no fun and your hands are going to get dirty reaching around checking all the lines, but i bet you find the culprit pretty quickly. mine was just after the canister and behind the engine.

Ok I have no problem doing it that way. As far as the diagram were can I locate that ? And as far as that sensor what can I do about that ? I plan on doing it Sunday have all day to work on it.

i honestly do not know what your 94s evap system looks like exactly. but as long as you have a good idea of what the system is, it should be pretty easy to follow all the hoses and check them. basically it is just time to check ALL your vacuum lines. your sheet says "disconnected" not just faulty or fail, so i am betting you should be able to see the area in mention.
the test most smog places do is to hook up a vacuum tester to your fuel filler neck, then pinch off the lines going to the canister. if it hold a certain amount a vacuum it will pass. if not it fails. so i would start with the lines from the tank to the canister. but still check all your lines because they do go bad and your system will run better if working properly.

i honestly do not know what your 94s evap system looks like exactly. but as long as you have a good idea of what the system is, it should be pretty easy to follow all the hoses and check them. basically it is just time to check ALL your vacuum lines. your sheet says "disconnected" not just faulty or fail, so i am betting you should be able to see the area in mention.
the test most smog places do is to hook up a vacuum tester to your fuel filler neck, then pinch off the lines going to the canister. if it hold a certain amount a vacuum it will pass. if not it fails. so i would start with the lines from the tank to the canister. but still check all your lines because they do go bad and your system will run better if working properly.

ok then i didnt get a chance to today to do it so im going to do it tomorrow in the am see what i find ill have pics of the colprate if i find it. also i found online that a seal goes around the locking ring can that also be it ? and just ordered a new gas cap also

because your sheet says "Tampered" leads me to believe someone has disconnected, or blocked some part of the system. if the inspector saw it, so can you. seal around the locking ring? are we talking about the large O-ring that seals the fuel pump to the tank? or is this the fuel filler cap seal? a new cap is a wise move anyhow. the large O-ring that seals the fuel pump to tank can very well be leaking. even a new pump replacement doesnt mean a new seal as the new ones are thick and hard to get the pump smashed close enough to the tank to allow the locking ring to set in enough to latch. some people just say screw it and use the old O-ring. and in many cases it will seal. but not all ways. and of course the seal could have not sat in its groove while installing. it can slip down a bit and it is hard to see if it is not sealing.

not a recommendation but i have placed a rubber hose into the filler neck and sealed it with a rag, then blew air into it to see if i can hear where the air was escaping from.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm having a PITA passing smog too, but my stuff isn't tampered with, and I have a '94 too. I live near UCSD, and should be home after 6 tonight if you want to swing by and we can take a look.

because your sheet says "Tampered" leads me to believe someone has disconnected, or blocked some part of the system. if the inspector saw it, so can you. seal around the locking ring? are we talking about the large O-ring that seals the fuel pump to the tank? or is this the fuel filler cap seal? a new cap is a wise move anyhow. the large O-ring that seals the fuel pump to tank can very well be leaking. even a new pump replacement doesnt mean a new seal as the new ones are thick and hard to get the pump smashed close enough to the tank to allow the locking ring to set in enough to latch. some people just say screw it and use the old O-ring. and in many cases it will seal. but not all ways. and of course the seal could have not sat in its groove while installing. it can slip down a bit and it is hard to see if it is not sealing.

not a recommendation but i have placed a rubber hose into the filler neck and sealed it with a rag, then blew air into it to see if i can hear where the air was escaping from.

Yeah that large O ring that seals it. I found online that a rubber seal goes around it I wasn't too sure about cuse awhile back I helpeed my buddy change his fuel pump and never saw a seal go around that O ring but I went ahead and ordered just incase was only 5$. I can only assume he said tampered because on the visual is because I put a clamp on. One of the rubber hoses to stay in place. He kept looking at it and I knew right away he was going to say something. Ill have a pic of that so you guys can see what I mean. And when I got my jeep it didn't have that pcv cap so I got that new.

Hey, I'm having a PITA passing smog too, but my stuff isn't tampered with, and I have a '94 too. I live near UCSD, and should be home after 6 tonight if you want to swing by and we can take a look.

I realy appreciate that. Ill see what I can get done on my own today and if I still can't solve it let's arrange somthing for later this week. Thanks

Not long ago I failed on high nox like yourself. I dont know if the evap issue will lead to high nox but as far as what I had to do. Full tune up cap rotor wires, new cat new 02 sensor, also seafoamed motor via vacume line at brake booster (Before changing o2 sensor). I also had a bad exhaust leak at manifold so I changed manifold also. Just letting you know save yourself all the retesting fees and prepare to possibly do all this. Good luck.

So my heap passed....

the biggest thing that brought down my NOx numbers were exhaust leaks.

My suggestion, run some seafoam through the intake.

After you let it sit and fire it back up, any exhaust leaks should be pretty evident....repair them, clean out the combustion chamber in the process, and see what happens.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you're gonna want a new O2 sensor after the seafoam though....

Oh yeah, and I have the FSM for the '94 if you want to take a look at that too =)

Last edited:
Back