• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My brakes suck

Bna0atb

NAXJA Forum User
I have new rotors/drums and pads. Bleed the brakes and adjusted the rear brakes properly. But when I'm in 4 low and coming off an obstacle my foot is to the floor and the xj just slowly rolls off the obstacle. Not sure if the fluid has air bubbles into I can't get out or if the fluid is just bad or something different altogether. Any ideas please let me know. Thank you.

Did you replace the master cylinder? If so did you bench bleed it before installing? Re-bleed everything. Run as much fluid through it as you can stand. Attach a piece of clear tubing to the bleeder to help see air bubbles. Recheck adjustment and make sure the shoes and hardware are installed correctly. Just because it was like that before, doesn't make it right. High heel in back.

year would help.. the pre 95 models are well known for having shit brakes.

this should be in OEM tech, it will get more views and help. mods please move.

yea man nothing is wrong the oem brakes are just bad.

centric premium rotors and black magic pads will net you good stopping power. im running an ebc rotor hawk pad setup that works well too.

My 94 has a low pedal and crappy brakes. I just got it Sunday, I replaced a caliper today (locked up). I'll let you know what I find tomorrow when I tear into it. I'm glad you said the OE stuff sucks, I normally use OE on all my stuff to maintain the original feel.

I'm glad you said the OE stuff sucks, I normally use OE on all my stuff to maintain the original feel.

it's not the parts themselves, the brakes on the XJ are just grossly undersized. The booster is too small on the 94 and earlier models.

I agree that the pre-95 XJ brakes can be better, but they work well enough, and will stop you in low range. The OP needs to bleed the brakes again or figure out that he has a bad part. I'm all in on the Black Magic brake pads, they will be a nice improvement.

Checked everything out today. LR shoes were not adjusted (adjuster frozen), shoes suck/worn out, pads have been seriously overheated. Cleaned and adjusted rear brakes, bled system, reassembled and test drove. Pedal is perfect, stops good no pulling. I am ordering the pads and shoes y'all recommended above.

If your pedal is to the floor with new pads and shoes, you've either got air in the system or a bad master cylinder. If you can't seem to get all the air out of the system, it's worth a few bucks to take it to a brake shop and let them bleed them for you.

Back