• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 output shaft.. Spline count/protrusion

muduck18

NAXJA Forum User
I have spent a considerable amount of time researching this.

and I am pretty sure I have my answer. but Since I'm about to hedge a few days and nights betting on this...

Can anyone confirm or deny this statement?

All ax-15 Transmissions installed into a 4x4 XJ from 1991-1999 have the same output spline count and protrusion (amount it sticks past the flange.)

Regardless of the fact that they switched from internal to external slave, and input shaft size(pilot bearing) and regardless of the fact that the aw4 protrusion changed in those years. the AX-15 was always the same..

I have not been able to find anything that contradicts that statement. So before I start in on this next project I'm hoping someone can post up if they know me to be wrong...

Thanks.

I am certain that all the outputs are 23 spline. Not certain about the protrusion. I suggest contacting Advance Adapters and explain what you're trying to do. They can tell you if you need to shorten the output shaft or any other mods.

I am certain that all the outputs are 23 spline. Not certain about the protrusion. I suggest contacting Advance Adapters and explain what you're trying to do. They can tell you if you need to shorten the output shaft or any other mods.

AA says this...

AA said:
The overall transmission case length is 24.000”. The output shaft on this transmission is 23 spline and
protrudes approximately .400”. This transmission is normally found coupled to the AMC 4.0L 6 cylinder
engine. Transmissions from 1989-93 used an internal release bearing, while 1997-99 transmissions
were switched to the external slave cylinder. We have seen both internal & external
release bearings used between 1994-96; therefore we suggest that you verify what
you have. This transmission seems to be one of the better transmissions Jeep
used and is very capable of handling the horsepower and torque of a V8 engine.
The input shaft length of this transmission is 7-1/2". The input shaft spline is
an 1-1/8” 10 spline, which is the same as Chevy. The pilot tip diameter is .590”
on transmissions 1989-96, and .750” on transmissions 1997-99.

BUT. they also said this
AA said:
Late model Cherokee 23 spline transmissions, you may have a spline engagement problem. If the splines bottom out before the two mating surfaces meet, you may be required to use a spacer adapter. NOT force these components together.

So I was going to need a spacer, that I don't think I need. and I verified that I don't need it with a trans out of a 92 but I'm installing into a '99 and I 'think' I don't need the spacer. I think they were assuming that I had the aw-4 and they were programmed to tell me I needed it.

So in truth...I thought I had it all figured out UNTIL I called AA..

AA is almost correct: the pilot tip diameter changed from .59" to .75" in '92.

Last edited:
Thank you. I guess its time for me to get in there and find out for sure.

I'll post up if i find anything interesting.

I can't help with measurements here, but I can confirm that an AX 15 from 1995 will fit a 99 transfer case, if that's any help.

I can vouch for this as well. My 91 has the ax15 from a 95 and the 231 from a 99 in it now.

Back