• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibe from slip yoke

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
AW4

The Jeep had a bit of a vibe but it wasn't one that felt like wheel balance or a worn component to me, so I bought it to a professional (hopefully). His diagnosis:
Front shocks leaking
wheel bearing starting to go
vibe from slip yoke

1 and 2 I'll take care of this weekend, it's number 3 that puzzles me.

Back in December I had new leaves and a 242 swapped in. The leaves probably gave me about 2" of lift over stock, I'm not sure exactly how much since the old leaves were completely flat. I drove across the country and back completely fine. Love the full time 4wd in the snow. What confuses me is that the vibes didn't develop until a couple of weeks ago. Do slip yoke vibes develop over time? Or do you think it could be something else? What type of vibes are characteristic of a slip yoke problem? Should I just put a hack n tap on it and call it a day? With 2" of lift in the rear will a front drive shaft be the correct length? Thanks.

A yoke that is loose on the T-Case splines will vibe. U-joints also will vibe. Don't forget to check the front drive shaft u-joints. Some 2000-01 XJ's had T-Case drops installed by the Dealership to solve customer complaints of vibes.

An SYE is a sure cure. Drive shafts can be lengthened or shortened as needed.

Pull rear shaft, put in 4wd see if it goes away? Same for front shaft..

How much lift is needed to use a front ds in the rear? I've checked the front u joints recently and they were good but I'll check them again.

How much lift is needed to use a front ds in the rear? I've checked the front u joints recently and they were good but I'll check them again.
With 2 inches of lift you should be fine using a front shaft in the rear.
I am doing the same with 3.5 and it is barely long enough. haven't had any problems though.

With 2 inches of lift you should be fine using a front shaft in the rear.
I am doing the same with 3.5 and it is barely long enough. haven't had any problems though.

That's comforting, at least I've got everything to fix it then. Thanks.

Back