• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint spanner wrench required on 95-up D30?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
It's ball joint time on the 97 XJ. Already have a press w/ sockets/adapters. I thought the spanner was only needed for sleeves on older axles but I'm forgetting how old "older" is anymore. The senior moments are starting . . .

i did my fiance"s in her '96 over this past summer, all 4 of them. the knuckle is kinda tight in there with the press i had and after your done with all the sockets/adapters on the thing half the time it dont fit. there were no c-clips to remove on her 96 either just press out , then back in. oh and i found it muchhhhhh easier in the beginning to just cutt the ball joint studs off flush, easier to fit the press and attatchments in there then.

Grab a 3lb sledge, it'll make your job easy.

Tighten the press as much as you can with a box wrench and one arm. Whack the side of the inner C next to the press with the sledge solidly a few times, the balljoint should pop out a bit. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Back