NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 16th, 2012, 22:48
NAXJA Forum User

Hardest Fix On Your XJ?

I've been doing a bunch of work on the XJ this weekend and it got me thinking What's the hardest thing you've done to your XJ? In the grand scheme of things XJ's are very easy to work on but there are some things that have you cursing after a while.
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:38
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Hardest Fix On Your XJ?

crank position sender. even after you drop the transmission cross member and use 4-5 feet of extension. its only 2 bolts. ive been told by mechanics its all but impossible. only took me like 4-5 hours.

troubleshooting the renix 87-90 4.0 you have to back probe every sensor there is no check engine light no obd its all charts and diagrams

cracked manifold... they all do it just a matter of when. good solid weekend project to replace it.

the biggest problem of all is money. never enough. followed only by time.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:57
NAXJA Forum User

The hardest thing I ever had to troubleshoot on my 99 XJ was Death Wobble. Hands down..

The fix itself wasn't difficult, but finding the damn thing sure was!
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:02
NAXJA Forum User

I've done clutch, cps, rear springs, both diffs and the one thing that gave me the most trouble and had me the most P.O.ed, Swapped a factory tire carrier and rear bumper from a parts XJ to mine. Broke almost every bolt on both bumpers and on every clip nut the clip was rusted off so they just spun and no room to get vise grips in there or a sawz all. Got like 16 hours in the swap even with a whole can of PB Blaster and a couple weeks of spraying it.

Last edited by Mike Mike; January 17th, 2012 at 04:06.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:36
NAXJA Forum User

Crank position sensor on a 96 5 speed.I never dropped the crossmember but used a cut off open end wrench.It's a job for a skinny guy with long arms.
Door hing pins are also fun.
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:47
NAXJA Forum User

Mine is an 01 so I've been lucky with everything except the evaporator...PITA but thanks to this site!, I got it fixed in a day
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:23
NAXJA Forum User

I can tell you the one I'm least looking forward to is gonna be straightening out the uni-body where the bumper bolts on. The side of it is caved in so my bumper is crooked...
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:01
NAXJA Forum User

I didn't think it was too bad, But In the 2 years owning my XJ I'd say it was the heater core.
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:18
NAXJA Forum User

Mine was relatively easy but still a pita... It was replacing a stock oilpan on my 89 renix. It i came up and punched a hole in it with a rock. I started at the junk yard with just a ratchet and some extentions thinkin hey it will just come down no problem... Nope they were stuck like glue, 3 hours later i went home said screw it and bought a new dorman one... Guess what mine too was pretty much glued to the engine. Ahh!! After 2 hours I broke it free then time to scrape off old gasket, I'm covered in oil and when I go to bolt up the pan, the lip on the pan is a little tight in spots so I had to find a thin walled socket... All in all it was just a huge pain for a simple tAsk, oh and the first gasket got cut in half when i put it in wrong... So I have 3/4 1 piece gasket and then I had to piece in a new rear seal. And I STILL have a small oil leak ... Lol but at least the pans fixed
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:33
NAXJA Member

I would say that the first time I had to take my front hub bearing units off it was probably the most difficult thing I've had to do. those things were stuck fast. took much pb blaster, a 3 lb sledge, and a couple of chisels to get the thing off.

while I had it off, I sanded out the rust from the seat. now they come off easy.

Idiots affect the lives of many. There is still no known cure for stupidity, but we can raise awareness ......
Old January 17th, 2012, 17:02
NAXJA Member

It can be difficult to work on some of the stuff in the very rear, like the gas skid and the tow hitch and the rear leaf bolts. All that stuff is heavy and awkward and it goes together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Also anything on the floorboard, since you basically have to remove the whole interior.
Old January 17th, 2012, 17:09
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget360 View Post
I would say that the first time I had to take my front hub bearing units off it was probably the most difficult thing I've had to do. those things were stuck fast. took much pb blaster, a 3 lb sledge, and a couple of chisels to get the thing off.

while I had it off, I sanded out the rust from the seat. now they come off easy.
for future reference for anyone reading this thread, take the top and rear bolts out leaving the front one only turned back in a couple of threads, start the jeep, and have a buddy hold the end of a 2x4 between the bolt head and the inner C, and use the power steering to turn the knuckle. they pop right out every time.

Old January 17th, 2012, 17:10
NAXJA Forum User

broke all 4 of the bolts holding the leaf springs onto the body, I seriously thought about just calling a wrecker and telling them to scrap it.
Old January 17th, 2012, 17:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbizzle02 View Post
broke all 4 of the bolts holding the leaf springs onto the body, I seriously thought about just calling a wrecker and telling them to scrap it.
I would of hauled it to a big hill and rolled it off it... Then called in a stolen vehicle lol
Old January 17th, 2012, 17:44
NAXJA Forum User

The most aggravating so far has been hands-down replacing the leaking O-rings on the 4.0L oil filter adapter.

All thanks to the "genius" designer who only put 2 inches of clearance between the torque bolt on the adapter and the uni-body/motor mount. That bolt is almost impossible to get too without dicing up your knuckles, and yelling "Who the F*&K designed this shit to be "serviceable"?!?

Last edited by Non-StopXJ; January 17th, 2012 at 17:49.