NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 24th, 2010, 10:50
NAXJA Forum User

CCV valve cover elbow question

Hi All!

on my 93' 4.0 XJ, there are two elbows on my valve cover.

the front elbow (as in closest to the radiator) is free-flowing, and is connected to rubber hose going into the airbox (just like every other stock early 4.0 HO engine).

the rear elbow is connected to smaller hard vacuum line and it is routed back into a port on the intake. this elbow is by-design restricted.

so I'm at my local Adv Auto talking to the parts jockey trying to find the rear elbow, (b/c i believe either the grommet is toast or there is a pinhole leak in the hard plastic somewhere causing an AWFUL whistle), and when he pulls up the part, it is the free flowing elbow and it says it is for the rear of the valve cover.

I ASSume that they just used a stock picture for both elbows, but wanted to check with you guys as well. the restricted elbow goes in the back of the valve cover, right?

thanks!
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: CCV valve cover elbow question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightime81 View Post
so I'm at my local Adv Auto talking to the parts jockey trying to find the rear elbow, (b/c i believe either the grommet is toast or there is a pinhole leak in the hard plastic somewhere causing an AWFUL whistle), and when he pulls up the part, it is the free flowing elbow and it says it is for the rear of the valve cover.
Yeah, I ran into the same thing on my 2000 a couple of weeks ago when I did the valve cover gasket. Summary: Advance (and Autozone) have it wrong.

Quote:
I ASSume that they just used a stock picture for both elbows, but wanted to check with you guys as well. the restricted elbow goes in the back of the valve cover, right?
Correct.

FWIW, I ended up getting mine from the dealer - they had them in stock for about a buck more than Advance / Autozone / NAPA, all of whom didn't know exactly what they were ordering but would require four or five days to get it there.
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:02
NAXJA Forum User

excellent. thank you very much.
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:25
NAXJA Member

Team Cherokee had the elbows,lines and grommets on special awhile ago.

www.teamcherokee.com
Member#17
NRA Life member, AARP NovaJeepers
96XJ,4.0,AW4,D30/D44,4:10s,Detroit,4.5" lift 33,s