NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 13th, 2010, 18:28
Dead man walking

Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

I'm looking to put barbed fittings into the transmission so I can run hose directly off of the trans without using the quick disconnects, anyone know of a part number? I've been searching for the last hour and all I can find is threads on cutting the stock lines with a tube cutter and attaching the hose there. That is NOT what I want to do. I want to replace the fittings in the transmission.

I'm not opposed to using adapters and such to get to the barb, but I'm having trouble finding a fitting other than a quick disconnect that would screw into the 14x1.5mm o-ring sealed hole in the trans. adapters would work well anyway because then I could put 90 fittings on it and run the lines towards the back where my cooler and fan are.

95 aw4 if that matters.
Old October 13th, 2010, 19:04
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

It would be cool to see a picture of your trans cooler. Right now I just cut the stock lines where they are made of rubber and plumber them into a B&M cooler with double barbed fittings. I dont like how it blocks airflow though.

Personally, I would cut the stock lines and go from there, so you dont risk messing up the trans threads. I guess this would be a problem if you want to run a cooler behind the trans.
Old October 13th, 2010, 19:29
NAXJA Forum User

Weatherhead makes the fittings.. I can't find a part number at this time, but any hydralic shop should be able to point you in the right direction.. tomarrow at work I will look at my part book and see if I can find a 14X1.5mm o-ring to pipe adapter, 90 degree pipe elbow and a pipe to barbd fitting adapter... what size of hose are you running?
Old October 13th, 2010, 19:41
Ugh

jpmagazine.com just did something similar on their XJ. They did the 14x1.5mm to -6AN adapter (3/8 hose). Throw on a 90* elbow and you are done. See here: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl.../photo_08.html
Old October 13th, 2010, 19:59
NAXJA Forum User

i pulled the adapter off one of my spare trannies in hopes of matching it up with something so i could do exactly what you want

all i know is its pipe thread.

figured i might get lucky at home depot and came up empty handed and gave up on my search then.
Old October 13th, 2010, 20:18
Dead man walking

Thanks for the link, and the responses. I'm running an 18x10 6 pass high flow cooler from summit racing:

Probably more than i need but it was free so that's what I'm going with

I've got a rack of barbed fittings, all i need is to find the threaded adapter to go from the metric oring sealed thread to standard pipe (or -AN fittings). I'll be running 3/8ths and 1/4 pipe thread or -AN fittings depending on what I can find to adapt to the trans.

It is not standard NPT pipe thread, and the threads are not tapered (this is why there is an oring around the threads on the fitting when you pull it out).

Ps: don't hate on the crooked mount, i was dodging spot welds and double layered steel above and below when mounting the bars. It's all coming out when the cage goes in anyway this is just getting ready for a shakedown run next month.
Old October 13th, 2010, 20:20
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weirdo View Post
jpmagazine.com just did something similar on their XJ. They did the 14x1.5mm to -6AN adapter (3/8 hose). Throw on a 90* elbow and you are done. See here: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl.../photo_08.html
that link is exactly what I needed, thanks very much!
Old October 13th, 2010, 21:27
Dead man walking

Just for future reference there is a digit missing from the fitting part number in that article, the actual part number of the 14mmx1.5 o ring seal to -6 AN fitting adapter from Earl's is 9919DFHERL.
Old October 13th, 2010, 22:39
NAXJA Forum User

Can this be done to the radiator side of the transmission lines? They bypassed the rad in the JP article.

I too would like to get ride of the leak prone disconnects. Plus AN fittings and braided hose are all the rage these days.
Old October 14th, 2010, 03:06
NAXJA Forum User

air hose fittings are the right size, just have to use teflon tape to get a seal is all, Advance auto also has the barbed fittings, they keep them in the same place on the sales floor by the trans coolers and electric rad fans
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper View Post
Just for future reference there is a digit missing from the fitting part number in that article, the actual part number of the 14mmx1.5 o ring seal to -6 AN fitting adapter from Earl's is 9919DFHERL.
HAHAHA you figured that out also! I was on holloy site looking for that part #, then found out i'm smarter than the editor!
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:59
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioShackSpecial View Post
Can this be done to the radiator side of the transmission lines? They bypassed the rad in the JP article.

I too would like to get ride of the leak prone disconnects. Plus AN fittings and braided hose are all the rage these days.
yes, the radiator fittings are available. It's just a standard inverted flare (like a brake hard line fitting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsizexj View Post
air hose fittings are the right size, just have to use teflon tape to get a seal is all, Advance auto also has the barbed fittings, they keep them in the same place on the sales floor by the trans coolers and electric rad fans
Thanks, I'll take a look there! Those fittings from earls are $12 a piece from summit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRandy View Post
HAHAHA you figured that out also! I was on holloy site looking for that part #, then found out i'm smarter than the editor!
Haha yeah what a pain in the butt! I sent an email to the editor hopefully it'll get fixed on their end
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:12
NAXJA Member

air lines are typically 1/4 NPT so those are wrong for 14x1.5 thread. If it works at all, the tape is just making it work anyway

McMaster has some 14x1.5 adapters but they are also expensive
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:33
NAXJA Member

If you want to go to NPT, this might help. Autometer # 2267 http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/2267/10002/-1. However, if you want to go to AN fittings you could use Parker 836 push-lok hose and push-lok style fittings. Any manufacture's pushlock/push lock/twist lock fitting will work.

And as ehall said, air hose fittings are not the right size for the metric transmission fitting.
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:35
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Grimm!