• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

45-50 mph front end shimmy

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
Did a quick search on this but only found the usual suspects, so I could use some clarification. I'm getting a shimmy/shake in the front end at about 45-50 mph. I've noticed it slightly at around 60 but tonight coming home things were totally smooth at 70 mph and then shimmying at 45 ish. I had the tires rotated and balanced a couple weeks back and it didn't resolve it.

I'm heading back to CT in a couple weeks to get married and will be able to drop it off at the local shop for 3 days. I'd like to be able to guide the mechanic to resolving this problem.

I've been told by the jeep dealer that my swaybar bushings are shot, I've heard the trackbar clunk when I turn the wheel backing out of a parking space and I can feel a slight shudder when braking.

The question I have is that all these point to individual items that could be causing the shimmy.. but how come I experience the shimmy at 45 and not at 75?

45mph shimmy leads me to think it's not likely the tires. If it was the tires it'd be around 50-55mph. Replace ALL suspect parts, make a judgment call on control arm bushing condition, replacing if necessary then align it.

Back