• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to remove power steering pulley???

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
my heep is a 2000 xj, 4.0 auto.
i killed the pump on the rubicon last weekend.
got a new pump.
removed the old pump.
how the f@#k do you remove the old pulley???
it seems to be a press fit over a smooth shaft held on by rust, no bolts, keys, splines, or snap rings.
after douching it with pb blaster i installed a 2 jaw puller & applied a fair deal of force. nothing happened except i broke a chunk off the metal hub ring.
wtf am i doing wrong here?
how do you remove the pulley? :twak:

When I replaced P.S. pump I bought the replacement from a local auto parts house that also has a machine shop attached.

I said; "Here's the old pump, can you swap the pulley for me?" Worked like a charm.

It's worked well with bearings and a few other things in the past that aren't removable / replaceable by mere mortals.

autozone has the tool to remove that pulley and theyll loan it out to ya, my dad rented that tool to remove p.s pulley when he replaced the pump on my brother's (aka now my xj) jeep a couple years ago.

Once you have installed the pulley removal tool onto the pulley; snug down the tool and smack lightly on the end that is applying pressure to the shaft.
DONOT continue to turn the center threaded shaft to drive the pulley off the PS shaft.
You risk the chance of breaking or bending the pulley applying too much pressure.
Just snug it down and smack the end lightly again until the pulley starts to move...

got a new pump.
removed the old pump.
it seems to be a press fit over a smooth shaft held on by rust, no bolts, keys, splines, or snap rings.
after douching it with pb blaster i installed a 2 jaw puller & applied a fair deal of force. nothing happened except i broke a chunk off the metal hub ring.

With a power steering pump pully remover. Need one? Or, you can come over and we can pop it off (in case you hadn't guessed, I do have a PS pully puller...)

BTW since you broke your original pulley, Dorman has a couple of different pulleys that are listed as compatible fit but you want #300-302 which has holes in it which makes it easy to work the bolts without having to remove the pulley first, the other one doesn't

i borrowed the puller from vatozone & promptly destroyed the old pulley.
i had bought a new pulley for $13 at kragen so i used the tool to install the new one. it worked fine. i installed a ps fluid cooler at the same time. filled the pump with new fluid, will bleed it tomorrow & fire this pig back up.

couldnt get mine off either... i bought a new pully for 10 bucks. it was not worth the hassel for 10 bucks for a new one.

Just be careful when you put the pulley back on--I put the dorman pulley on flush with the shaft and it ended up being 3/16" in too far and the belt would squeal from scrubbing the side wall of the pulley. I had to pull it back out(you should have a nice shiny track on the idler pulley to guide you).

I'd bet EVERYONE breaks their pulley the first time doing it... I remember doing mine and trying it without the PS pulley puller - just because I couldn't believe I needed a 'special' tool just for that...!! But live and learn...

Not everyone!

It took me awhile to figure out the puller, never having used one, but I did two pumps in about an hour.

...I was too worried about futzing it up...so I moved slowly on the first one.
second one was cake.

just had to replace my PS pump on my 99 4.0l. the NAPA where i got the rebuilt pump let me borrow a dayco puller kit, but they were sure to let me know they had replacement pulleys in stock, just in case. the pulley fought me the whole way on and off but it was definitely worth saving the ten bucks on a new pulley. just took some patience and elbow grease. I guess the PS pump had been going out for a while too, the jeep is so quiet now its scary!

got a new pump.
removed the old pump.

I replaced my pump yesterday and borrowed a pulley puller form O'Reilly's it worked great. It's an Evertough #67010. In fact, when I take it back this morning I'm going to buy one.

the first time ya pull one is the time to buy that puley remover..changed three of them for the price of one tool..buy the pulley without the res and wheel on it

buko savings replacing that pump yerself
every year or so keeps its nice and smooth:scottm:

Just got back from O'Reilly's...ordered a new one. It was the same price as the deposit. I should have gone with my gut and went with a NAPA pump, the Chinese O'Reilly's pump is a little noisy. I drained the hoses and put a vacuum pump on the return line and pulled out all of the old fluid, maybe there's a little air in there that might work itself out.

Back