NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:09
NAXJA Forum User

Motor Mount Bolt Size?

In crawling around under my new-to-me '98 XJ, I discovered a few missing nuts. The most serious one is the nut that attaches the motor mount to the "frame". It is show in this link http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...umber=52040267 It is the bolt that comes down in the picture.

Does anyone know the size of this bolt so I can pick one up on my way home tonight? Thanks!
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Motor Mount Bolt Size?

Just got off the phone with my new friend - the Jeep parts guy at the dealership. The bolt size is 12x1.75. I don't know what that means, but it is a size of nut listed on the Fastenal website. Hopefully this helps someone else!
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:26
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

ahhh, they're metric then. M12 (12mm diameter) and 1.75mm thread to thread pitch. You want nuts with captive fender washers for the bottom of the mounts, a flanged staked nut for the top of the passenger side mount, and an M12x1.75 flange bolt of ISO property class 10.9 or above for the top of the driver side mount.

They take a 15mm wrench... that much I know.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:36
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks kastein! That helps a bunch. The passenger side is missing and I notice the driver's side is definitely a replacement. Any ideas what the previous owner did or didn't do? The mount bracket looks new on the passenger side.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:38
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

They probably just forgot to put them back on, or didn't tighten them down enough... you'd be surprised what some people will do to cars.

I've gone through this a couple times over the last two weeks due to pulling a drivetrain for a tranny swap, sadly didn't have new engine mounts on hand to install at the same time.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:24
NAXJA Forum User

While you are under there, take a look at the bolts that hold the mount brackets to the engine block--they like to fall out or shear off.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:29
NAXJA Forum User

"they like to fall out or shear off" - I wouldn't doubt if they have. It seems as if I've inherited all the "quirks" of an XJ. I'm finding most are fairly easy to fix and parts seem cheap. Is this the impression of others?
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:54
NAXJA Member

That's my general impression... it's why I own 3 XJ/MJ family vehicles now

Parts are even cheaper when you get em at the junkyard.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
That's my general impression... it's why I own 3 XJ/MJ family vehicles now

Parts are even cheaper when you get em at the junkyard.
"Salvage" yard for parts, junkyard for home decorations!