• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sway Bar Snapped...

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know what exactly snapped it, but I'd say an accidental 50 foot ramp at 80 mph started the problem lol!! - The buddy I was racing claimed all 4 wheels were 3-4 feet off the ground...Woops!

Anyway, I've been asking around and internet searching, and folks are saying it's fine to just remove the whole bar. I understand It might rock a bit more than usual, but I've been driving it broken with no issues or anything. However, I was wondering if the sway bar increases traction in snow. I'm in the snow belt and use 4x4 often...

Increase traction? I wouldn't say so. It's purpose is to reduce body sway at the rear end.

Given your above description of events...... if I was in your shoes, I think I'd fix it.

I don't think it has any effect on traction either. If I was you I'd just take the whole thing off and throw it in the garbage.

IMHO it doesn't do jack diddly squat when it comes to reducing body roll. Even in a lifted XJ the difference between sway bar and no sway bar is not even noticeable.

Truth be told.... the rear sway bar does has have an impact on the roll of the vehicle in turns or off camber situations....
Now with that said... IF you off road your vehicle a lot; it will hinder the flex of the rear differential in off camber situations.... so I would remove it.
At stock ride height and if on road is all you use your vehicle for; then I would fix whatever you broke for the sway bar (ie. link or attachment point).

Charles

With stock leafs I might fix it, but with stiffer lift springs why bother... never noticed the change.

Also, where did you find a ramp that size accidentally?!

With stock leafs I might fix it, but with stiffer lift springs why bother... never noticed the change.

Also, where did you find a ramp that size accidentally?!
SE Ohio back roads. It was a downhill approach to one of those humps that takes your stomach at normal speeds, However between 80-85mph in launched us. Whats even worse is we landed in the on coming lane. So at first, I thought we were going into the ditch on the left. - Before people bicker about the safety of innocents, I had a mile of visibility to the oncoming lane.

To be honest folks, I paid $1,500 for it. It mainly takes to to work (which is 2 miles from home) Fishing, and occasional logging and oil well roads. I don't push it in turns either. Just mainly a cruiser. The reason I asked about snow is because wouldn't increased body roll put more force on wheel? - More risk of slip?

It's a stock XJ. If it's gonna ride with a bit more lean, I can deal with it. I'm a 26 year old living on a budget, so $100 or so would be better in my pocket if you know what I mean...

I'd rip it out then, or hit the JY and find a "pre owned" replacement for $20.

heck... some XJs with the towing package and/or upcountry package came without a rear sway bar from the factory.

Just take it off. I have on both of my mostly stockers.
I do like to hurry around turns and windy roads and haven't noticed any loss of grip, there "may" be a bit more lean, but the extra flex and comfort off road is worth it.
I do have good springs, heavy duty shocks and usually a light load.
IF you carry a lot of weight or people regularly and have weak shocks, it might be a good idea to replace it.
I'm sure someone here would be happy to give you their unused rear sway bar.

Mike

We have 3 Salvage yards here so finding one shouldn't be too hard. I suppose I'll take it off, and if I have any issues I'll replace it. Thanks for all the input fellas! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't a liability out there - Well, even more of one. lmao

Wow, that SE Ohio must be some kind of place. With speed limits like 80-85 mph on the back roads, their highways must be just like the Autobahn!

Mr. Darwin, paging Mr. Darwin!

Seriously, grow up, one of the lives you save might even be your own.

seriously, if you're gonna play boy-racer on public streets, please talk about it somewhere else.

im all for speed, but if you cant control your vehicle (3-4 feet of 'accidental airtime' even if your buddy over estimated = lack of basic control of the vehicle), you shouldnt be driving.

seriously, if you're gonna play boy-racer on public streets, please talk about it somewhere else.

im all for speed, but if you cant control your vehicle (3-4 feet of 'accidental airtime' even if your buddy over estimated = lack of basic control of the vehicle), you shouldnt be driving.
LMAO!!! Are you serious?? I'm sure you've NEVER done something stupid either....I admitted it was stupid. I've driven more than 250,000 miles in an XJ since I was 17. "Boy Racer on public streets"?? There wasn't a sole in miles. I had a mile of visibility to the on coming lane. Only person at risk was me. My buddy was behind me. You're treating me as If I'm some dangerous asshole. I'm not. I'm a guy in his mid 20's who made a mistake in judgment...
Don't think I'm bragging....Truth of the matter, I was scared to death.

Wow, that SE Ohio must be some kind of place. With speed limits like 80-85 mph on the back roads, their highways must be just like the Autobahn!

Seriously, act like a man. I made a mistake, and admitted it. I wasn't out for a day of thrill and dare devil driving...I punched it down a hill to a slump that I'll never do again. However, Bo and Luke Duke would have been proud. - And more polite about it than you...lol :laugh3:

Hey, man.....its Ohio.............there is nothing better to do than to drive 100 mph plus into bridge abutments and punch cows.:roflmao:
(If you dont get it....watch the News)

People are a little more tame in Northern Ohio.

Driving style opinions aside...

Remove the sway bar...toss...drive. IMHO my XJ handles better without it. MJ doesn't have one.

Back