• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody running Rocky-Roads OTT steering upgrade

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
!!!1I think I've read every about every mod on here untill my brain is mush. I have a 96 XJ w/ an RE4.5", their HD drop bracket and HD track bar uppgrade, JKS QDC,stock steering setup. Other than bigger brakes what other benefits are there with the WJ knuckle swap,is the steering better? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the total cost. It seems by the time everybody finishes their wj swap, with the steering fixes it's about the same price as the RR upgrade. I'm trying to do it right the first time, as with most people money is not something that I want to waste on things that don't work. Yes I'm a nub and the build is slow so please forgive my stupidity:twak:

I think the main reason most people do a WJ knuckle swap is for better brakes. Any mod that is going to have a very positive effect on the front axle is going to require some modification to install. If the WJ knuckles are the ones with a high steer attachment then you may need to change the track bar angle which requires even more fab work. If you are looking for better steering without modifying too much stuff, then I suggest Bulletproof brand steering components if you have the money. Thay have a tie rod that has bends in each end to prevent interference with the coil buckets and sway bar mounts. It will give you a true crossover steering, which prevents toe changes as the suspension cycles. The biggest required mod for this system is drilling the knuckles out to 3/4". If you have more limited funds then there are a number of companies offering "1 ton" steering upgrades. You can do some research on here to compare the pro's and cons of each system.
Pre 96 jeeps benefit greatly from a 96+ booster swap. It is almost a bolt in mod and makes a huge difference in braking power.

I just installed this setup in my XJ. Generally pretty unhappy with it.
THey claim a bolt in kit, but really this thing should be welded from the get go. every bracket on the setup has come loose repeatedly for me within the first 500 miles.

I bent the tie rod at the point where the drag link intersects it, just from the stress of turning the tires up onto a 24" wall.

Their sway bar disconnect kit requires tools to disconnect the links, as they are bolted on. you wont find that in their ad, nor a good photo that shows this.

Their knuckle brackets required re drilling every hole on them to get them to fit the supplied hardware, which is all grade 5 stuff.

the only thing this kit does well is it truly takes your steering components and moves them way up there, but the quality of the parts leaves ALOT to be desired.

Im currently talking with rocky road to get my money back, and their kit off my truck.

don't buy it.

thier website is full of false claims, shipping times are outrageous, products are "meh" at best, and customer service sucks.

take a look at my tie rod....

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

Back