• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Closed hatch on tarp- now it won't open!!

Reddleman

NAXJA Forum User
The title says it all. The tarp has somehow jammed the mechanism, and I have no idea how to release it.

I can't be the only person who has been stupid/unlucky enough to do this.

Any ideas?

I would try that as well. Give it a good kick haha

Figured it out. If anyone has this problem in the future, try this before you get out the crowbar.

Just pull out the plastic trim at the bottom of the rear window- you'll release a couple of plastic clips to pull out the panel. When you look down, you'll see the latching mechanism. The threaded rod you see sticking up on the right operates the latch. Get some needle-nosed vice grips, clamp on, and pull up.

Hatch releases no problem.

Cool.

On the front doors there is a release tab that will unlock the door when pressed, even if the mechanism is jammed in the locked position. I seem to recall finding the same sort of release tab when I looked at the rear hatch lock mechanism.

Sometimes having a second pair of hands, as mentioned earlier, push out on the hatch will help, sometimes you need to push in at the bottom of the hatch while pressing the release will get it loose.

Back