• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1984 Jeep Cherokee Chief Question

burkemotorcross

NAXJA Forum User
Found a 84 jeep cherokee chief w/ the 2.8l v6, 4wd, with a 5 Speed manual. Guy claims that it runs and drives, it has 250,000 miles on it. Now i know that the 84 model year along with that v6 wasnt chryslers greatest combination, but would it be worth trading a dirtbike for(1994 yamaha xt225)? or should i just avoid it like the plague?

Also has a clear title.

I guess my main question would be is it worth putting a budget boost and some 30s on and doing some very mild wheeling, ie, driving around on the beach and mudding? this thing would not be a DD, but a backup car, and be able to survive 2hr trips to the beach and back. should i bother with it or just let it go?

Is there anything i can do to make this a reliable car?

Thanks!

the 2.8 is a turd, but does work

If you find yourself wanting more power later you could always swap in a 3.1/3.4 and the MPFI that goes along with it.

Is it rusty? How's the radiator? How are the brake lines and other high-mileage maintenance items? Look at them yourself instead of taking him at his word. Check compression on the cylinders.

How much can you sell the dirtbike for?

If it's not rusty, in good shape, and you can't sell the dirtbike for more than about 800 bucks, I might go for it. You can always throw a 3.4 in it.

I'd really aim for an 87 or newer, but hey, if you get it for the right price it could be cool.

NADA is $3K ????? I've got a bunch of vehicles I can unload if he's willing to pay NADA values like that.

I'd offer $400-$500 if you are really interested in it and plan another $500 in general preventative maint.

ill prob offer 400 for it. but my main concern is are these things with the 2.8L reliable? im not too concerned with the power output, i just want something that wont leave me broke down on the beach somewhere.

I know they arent as strong as the 4.0, but do those old 2.8s have any major flaws?

I think the 250,000 it's got on it is about what I'd expect from one that's taken care of. Hell, even the seller lists it as "still running" as if he's surprised.

My experiences with 2.8l V6's are limited to other people's broken stuff, but I can say that of the four I've played with, three had broken/mutilated crankshafts toward the front of the engine. I don't recall if they were all on the first rod journal, but I think so.

Go check your local salvage yards, see what a 3.1 or 3.4 would run--if reasonable, then go for it and pick up a better engine.

Back