• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can a NSS Short out?

Samson04

NAXJA Forum User
My 98xj 4.0 is in the shop with a NSS code. I told the guy that I had seen on here where you can take apart and clean and fix. This guy says that I have a short inside the NSS and it can't be repaired. Is this true? If so, where can I buy one cheap. I don't really have $270 to spend right now and this is my DD. Thanks!

My 98 threw the same code in December of 09. I had never removed one before, but using the write-ups here I pulled the old one, cleaned it, and re-installed it in 15 degree weather in about an hour. The code has not come back in 10,000 miles and I have reverse lights again. When I opened the case, it was gunked up pretty good after 12 years. I'd try cleaning it before throwing down that kind of green for a new one. If you do replace it though, clean the old one and keep it as a backup.

On the outside of the old one the case looks as if it has a "Hot" spot on it. I was just curious. Don't want to take the old off and clean it if it is not going to work and be a waste of time. Like I said, this is my DD and I need to get it back on the road ASAP.

Go to the junkyard and buy a used NSS that fits your Cherokee. Clean it and install it.

OP--did you have a no-crank issue or another problem? Did you get a code, and if you did what is the number?

Go to the junkyard and buy a used NSS that fits your Cherokee. Clean it and install it.
...and that way you can practice on removing it and reinstalling it, maybe even on a couple different XJ's if you mess the first one up. My 2 cents is to remove the one on your Jeep first, then going to the junkyard you'll already know how it's done.

If you have more time than money, start there.

No issues whatsoever, besides no reverse lights. Only thing, the AC compressor fuse kept popping and the guy working on it said it had something to do with the NSS shorting out in the harness causing the fuse to pop. I have read the write-ups on here about cleaning the NSS and I don't see what in there could "Short out". I already have the old one off, I may just try cleaning it tonight and if it doesn't work I'll by pass it for now until this weekend when I have more time to mess with it.

I would go to the junkyard and pull one. If it breaks, you know not to do that again, pull another.

Rebuild the one you bring home from the junkyard (87-96 XJs use one iirc, might be 91-96. 97-01 use a different one, but they can be adapted to work either way if you want to cut&splice some wiring) then remove yours and replace it with the junkyard rebuilt one. Now rebuild yours. You now have a spare and enough practice to do this again when it comes time...

Remember that "shorting out" and "grounding out" are the generic "something done broke" terms for electrically-ignorant folk. They actually do have a meaning but they are misused constantly and in ever changing ways. Since your reverse lights don't work, my bet is that it's actually got a dirty contact that isn't closing at all, nevermind "shorting out." Also, the NSS has absolutely nothing to do with the AC compressor fuse and he either should not be trusted to work on car electronics at all, or is blowing smoke up your ass and shouldn't be trusted to work on cars at all.

OP--did you have a no-crank issue or another problem? Did you get a code, and if you did what is the number?

My bad...I hadn't read what joe_peters said. Sure, you could have a shorted NSS, but not the WHOLE NSS if starts in P or N.

If the Jeep still starts but the issue is fuse for the reverse lights, I might look at the wiring to the reverse light. Sockets are likely suspects.

On a new/used/cleaned NSS you could still have a problem if you have a shorted socket popping the fuse. Since you don't have a Power/Comfort switch (RENIX) the only other thing on that part of the NSS is the reverse lights.

As far as the "hot spot" on your NSS that could also be an indication that just THAT contact is shorted (maybe to a light socket).

Again, my 2 cents is that you get your hands on a used NSS and clean/revamp it. After you open one up you'll see how it works...

...AND heed the warning about the spring loaded contacts, easy to lose. Do the whole job on a clean bench or a piece of cardboard. QD electronic cleaner and dilectric or lithium grease.

Well I'm afraid I may have bigger problems. I did get my hands on the NSS last night and it is definitely "Burned up". The contacts and the springs were definitely "gummed" up, but that's not the problem. The burned spot on the back is from the hole that is burned through on of the contact strips on the inside. Not sure what caused this, but I am definitely going to need a new one. Now my question is, did this cause the problems I was having or is there some other underlying problem that may have caused the NSS to "Short"? Don't want to get another one, rebuild it and have it short out to. Any ideas?

i would say gummed up and a hole in the back would throw a code for it not working, cause mine looked fine and still threw a code. There shouldn't be enough current going through that to melt anything so i don't really know how that happened in the first place. If something was shorted after the nss like a tail light then when you put it in reverse it would be shorted and grab as mush current through that circut as it could untill something gave. Usually there are fuses for this give, look up a wireing diagram and attempt to find where its going before rebuilding one and tossing it in.

The reverse light circuit has full current for the reverse lights flowing through it IIRC, as usual Chrysler eliminated relays wherever possible.

An intermittent contact inside the switch there could result in arcing that would heat the terminal enough to melt things.

Well, not sure what caused the problem, but went to the local pull a part and got another NSS, cleaned it, installed and I have ice cold AC and everything else works. Thanks for all the help guys. You saved me a lot of money. The part at the junkyard cost me $4.85. Thanks again!

Always a plus when fixing the problem costs less than a "coffee" at starbucks vs hundreds :thumbup:

Back