NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 14th, 2010, 04:17
NAXJA Forum User

Who sells TPS for the Renix?

Need a TPS for my 88 XJ with a Manual Trans. The local parts stores dont even carry them anymore (autozone, Oreallys) Rock Auto doesnt either.

Ideas? Napa Website says they do...for $139.

Dont know ifs a dealer item...gulp!
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Who sells TPS for the Renix?

I can appreciate your challenge; I have two older Cherokee's myself. NAPA should be a good bet. I have done business with NAPA for decades and their product lines have never let me down. They performed excellent even for my wife's Chevette diesel.

However, here are url's for the primary Jeep OEM parts people I know of:

1. www.jeepoemparts.com
2. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=213975
3. http://www.teamcherokee.com/
4. http://jeepsareus.com/
5. http://stores.zmjeeps.com/StoreFront.bok

Other companies, such as Willys Overland in Toledo, OH can get dealer parts and sell them to you. They are at: http://www.willysoverland.com/.

I think Dirk at DPG Offroad is also selling OE replacement parts know; at least his website now indicates that he is active in this area.

Good luck,

Rick
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:03
NAXJA Forum User

I may be wrong here.....but I remember reading something to the effect that the second plug on the automatic TPS was for a manual trans. if that what was needed.
Someone else will chime in here I'm sure.
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:13
NAXJA Forum User

I have an 87 4.0 renix and got a TPS from Autozone the other day for $49.
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:39
NAXJA Forum User

Your comment regarding the Auto TPS may be true; I have not asked this question of myself before.

I am currently converting my 88 XJ from the AW4 to an AX15 and the manual TPS is stated to be required. The TPS is different between the TPS from the AW4 and AX15 but my Factory Service Manual (FSM) should tell me if the AW4-equipped XJ can meet the functionality of the AX15 TPS.

Rick
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:08
NAXJA Forum User

According to the adjustment procedures, they are different. But, I'm curious to know if the auto TPS could be used on the manual trans equipped vehicles by using the "trans" side of the harness.
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:47
Gone but not forgotten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVC1 View Post
Your comment regarding the Auto TPS may be true; I have not asked this question of myself before.

I am currently converting my 88 XJ from the AW4 to an AX15 and the manual TPS is stated to be required. The TPS is different between the TPS from the AW4 and AX15 but my Factory Service Manual (FSM) should tell me if the AW4-equipped XJ can meet the functionality of the AX15 TPS.

Rick

The ECU plug for the automatic (ignore the TCU plug) has the same functionality as the only plug (ECU) on the manual trans vehicles. Adjust it according to the manual trans. procedure and tape off the TCU plug.

That's a tip for anyone in the market for a MT TPS, also. The AT TPS seems to be much cheaper and more readily available.
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:10
NAXJA Forum User

Shorty: A big THANK YOU! Just saved me a BUNCH of hard earned $$$>
Old July 14th, 2010, 14:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
The ECU plug for the automatic (ignore the TCU plug) has the same functionality as the only plug (ECU) on the manual trans vehicles. Adjust it according to the manual trans. procedure and tape off the TCU plug.

That's a tip for anyone in the market for a MT TPS, also. The AT TPS seems to be much cheaper and more readily available.

True story? If so, that is definitely good info for the stick shift crowd.
Old July 14th, 2010, 17:55
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

I have heard the same thing, and do believe it to be true.

Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Bumpers, Sliders, Armor & Accessories.
Proudly Made in the USA
Old July 15th, 2010, 00:23
NAXJA Forum User

True story, just use the cheaper AT TPS.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:37
NAXJA Forum User

I bought my TPS from rock auto. It's for the auto and my xj is a stick. Works fine....well, as good as it can on my shot wiring harness.
Old July 15th, 2010, 18:25
NAXJA Forum User

I'm uncertain if I understood Shorty's post. I'll restate what I think it says and let myself be corrected at the will of others more knowledgeable than I.

I think Shorty is stating that we should adjust the AW4 TPS using the procedure for the manual TPS (AX5 or AX15; presumably either so we should be explicit.) and disconnect the harness from the Aisin AW4 TCU located in the lower dash on the passenger side of the vehicle. I was planning to disconnect the Aisin TCU anyway as a result of my transmission change to the AX15.

The point being that there are different procedures for calibrating (?) the TPS on AW4/AX15/AX5 equipped XJ's and we use the one for the manual, for example, in situations where you're like me and a die-hard manual transmission driver in the midst of performing an AW4-AX15 exchange on not one, but two Renix vintage XJ's? Am I nuts??? My Saab 9000 is next...oh, dear.

So this procedure is described in my Factory Service Manual, yes?

Thanks (and potentially damn happy for this tip if true),

Rick
Old July 15th, 2010, 19:03
Gone but not forgotten...

got it correct across the board

the adjustment procedures for the A.T. TPS that I've seen tell you to adjust the square plug (trans. side) to specified values, where the M.T. TPS is adjusted on the three wire side (ECU side) due to lack of another plug. The general procedure and values are actually the same (for the ECU side), but the values listed for the A.T. plug are are the inverse of the ECU side-- I think the ECU side increases resistance as the throttle opens and the TCU side starts with high resistance and it decreases with throttle angle.
Old July 15th, 2010, 19:07
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Shorty - You are the man!

Rick