NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 15th, 2010, 18:34
NAXJA Forum User

leaf spring bolt size PLEASE

I feel like an arse, but my frame side (not shackle side) leaf spring mounting bolt sheared off. I can't get the remaining piece of bolt out of the weld nut. Can anyone please tell me what size bolt I need. Definitely going grade 8 because I don't want to do this again.

Trust me I searched. I found a few threads on how to cut open the mounting box/bracket but nobody mentions bolt size. This is a factory part that was retained when I installed my lift. I even checked the parts list from my build sheet but it says to reuse factory bolt.
Old June 15th, 2010, 18:52
NAXJA Member

Re: leaf spring bolt size PLEASE

factory leaf bolts are M14 x 2.0 pitch x 120mm long, class 10.9, flange head, nipple tip
Old June 15th, 2010, 19:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
factory leaf bolts are M14 x 2.0 pitch x 120mm long, class 10.9, flange head, nipple tip
How far back does this screw size go? Need to know where to start it for my table...
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post

SWEET - Thanks for the quick responses fellas.
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:33
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

5-90 - far as I know, at least to 87 and probably all the way to 84.

The same exact bolts are used for the LCAs as well (both ends.)

The only piece of info Eric missed is that the nuts are staked to keep them from unscrewing by themselves.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
How far back does this screw size go? Need to know where to start it for my table...
I don't think this will help much, but my stock bolt is a hex flange head with "ABC 9.8" stamped in it. Threads start 2 5/8" from the flange (and extend into the area that sheared off) Remainder of bolt is still in the bracket and captive nut so I can't see it at the moment.
Old June 16th, 2010, 18:49
NAXJA Forum User

I found an OEM replacement on teamcherokee.com - as kastein mentioned, the same bolt as the LCA mounting bolt. The bolts look identical - sold in pairs $7 and $4 ship/handle. Pricey for 2 bolts but it will cost me more in gas to get to my nearest junkyard to wrestle a rusted to hell bolt out. I'll let you know how it works when they come in.
Old June 16th, 2010, 19:36
NAXJA Forum User

Take the size and thread pitch to Fastenal. They had what I needed there and they were a 1/4" longer which is fine.
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:50
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I get mine out of WJs these days - one of the nuts (pass side, frame end) is one of those dizzyingly stupid tag nut contraptions chrysler likes so much, but the others are all fine. Even here in the northeast I can get them 100% rust free and they come out easily. Same exact bolts.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:29
I worry when rattles stop

Before you start cutting, how much bolt is still sticking out of the "frame"? I snapped one of my bolts when I was installing my lift and had ~1/2" sticking out and was able to weld the bolt back together. The heat from the weld also helped to break the bolt free. Once I had it threaded out I had to cut the bolt (the weld wouldn't fit through the hole) but it saved me from having to drill out the bolt or hack up my floor. Just another option.
Old June 17th, 2010, 19:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNTURR View Post
Before you start cutting, how much bolt is still sticking out of the "frame"? I snapped one of my bolts when I was installing my lift and had ~1/2" sticking out and was able to weld the bolt back together. The heat from the weld also helped to break the bolt free. Once I had it threaded out I had to cut the bolt (the weld wouldn't fit through the hole) but it saved me from having to drill out the bolt or hack up my floor. Just another option.
That seems like a pretty good idea - problem is I don't know how to weld and I don't have a welder. What sucks even worse is that I was storing my Father-in-Laws welder in my garage for the last 2 years and he just sold it last month!

Thought about going to Fastenal, but I checked out their website and wasn't able to locate the bolt. I guess every store would be different so that's still an option.

I'll have to keep the ZJ donor as an option in the future but I would spend more money and time getting to my closest junkyard
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:02
NAXJA Member

I actually said WJ, but now that you mention it I believe ZJs use the same bolts on at least the front CAs and probably the rears as well.

Oem part numbers are 3420 2118 (bolt) and 1150 2814 (nut) in case you need to order some from a dealer/web dealer, can probably find them cheaper than teamcherokee. Try metricspecialties as well.
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:05
NAXJA Member

The LCA bolts are slightly different (10mm shorter and different tip) but work perfectly fine. I also use bolts from low-mileage WJs at the junkyard, same as Kastein.
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
I actually said WJ, but now that you mention it I believe ZJs use the same bolts on at least the front CAs and probably the rears as well.

Oem part numbers are 3420 2118 (bolt) and 1150 2814 (nut) in case you need to order some from a dealer/web dealer, can probably find them cheaper than teamcherokee. Try metricspecialties as well.

Hey Kastein, thanks for the OEM part numbers and the website. You did originally say WJ but I automatically thought ZJ b/c my wife drives one so I could use hers as a donor - she would love that!

ehall - thanks for that info too - I noticed on 5-90s site that he lists the LCA bolt at 110mm and you had previously said that the OEM is 120mm. Lots of good info and advice here, THANKS everybody
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:13
NAXJA Member

LCA bolts are the same for XJ/ZJ/whatever, but the WJs are the lowest mileage and typically more pampered, so the LCA bolts on them are typically the best condition