• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2DIN deck install in a 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
I got tired of the old flip up monitor I have had for awhile now and as a Technoligy junkie I wanted more flexibility to run external media, like a Hardrive, Ipod, Topo Navigation Etc.

For the price I decided on the JVC AVX720, Low price and lots of features (USB port support WMA, MP3, JPEG, MPEG2 etc, Bluetooth, Ipod Audio and Video controls, Video input and output)

First I started cutting behind the dash. I didn’t take any before picture but there is a lot of air vent support that needs to but cut away, most of this support is was to join two molded pieced of vent together, after this is cut you will want to use some tape to help seal the gap between the rear and forward vent tube. Once that was done I needed to notch the two lower shelf support, these supports are for the Stock Stereo. I used a Air Saw and a right Angle die grinder with a small cut off bit. The fit was nice and tight to help support the weight of the deck.

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

Next I Cut the dash to fit the JVC can, As you can see there is a large gap on the sides of the Can where the stock stereo/or an aftermarket single DIN dash kit would normally fill. I knew I really wanted to have a stock look even with the after deck so custom work was going to be needed but I didn’t want to build the dash from scratch. I found a 2DIN dash kit I liked from a Scoshe 2000 VW Jetta Kit (VW2317B) that I liked the look of and I could still mold into the dash.

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

Trimmed the Kit down to fit the contours of the dash and bonded it in place using 2 part epoxy.

IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

Went to town with the filler to build up between the kit and dash, I ended up with 6 layers before I started the finish blending, I ended up sand it down to 1000 Grit but didn’t go beyond that. If I were doing a show car I would have sent it off to a pro at this stage to finish sand and paint but with this being mine I can live with small imperfections in the finish.

Starting to blend
IMG_5187.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

Almost done after two coats of Satin black paint.

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5195.jpg

The good thing about the 97+ XJ dash is the bezel is not completely smooth nor does it have a heavy texture. (Texture is a PITA to duplicate)

I will do a couple more coats then let the paint cure before I install. I haven’t compared the center piece to the rest of the dash yet but I am thinking the finish may still be a bit too glossy.
All and all I like the outcome, More pics to come once installed.

i did the same thing man- put a touch screen with gps and all in mine.. turned out great! I think it would be harder in the older cherokees with that other front piece on the dash though... what did you do to cut the inside? i got plastic all over the place using a dremmel to cut space for it

what did you do to cut the inside? i got plastic all over the place using a dremmel to cut space for it

I used an air saw with a small blade and small air angle griding with a cut off blade, and I am still cleaning up plastic. there just no easy way to cut behind the Bezel. Thought about getting a plastic cutting heat knife but didnt' want to spend the coin on one.

Installed Pics.

Color is a little more Black. I may try and have a shop mix a color closer to the agate dash color and repaint.

IMG_5197.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

Last edited:
That is some very awesome work. Nice job.

Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to set up a vacuum form or similar to crank these out? I'd really like to have exactly that bezel, but flat-out do not have the skills to do it myself and not have it be a total mess.

I believe you can buy rattlecan in the factory interior colors- someone around here (shelbyluv maybe?) had mentioned it while doing an interior swap.

Nice work btw. That is very slick.

What have you done with the speakers on the doors? Any more pics of that?

edit- google mopar agate interior paint
couple of returns here, probably more brands out there
http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/sm_paint.asp
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BP-82201399

thanks for the links, I am going to have to order a can.

Door speakers pods are built from an MDF ring and MDF base then Vinyl wrapped. Tweeter pods are to be finished, I need to mold in the pods the the door trim and paint (looks like I will need two cans of paint)

I'll get some more pics of the Speakers and post them here.

Absolutely!!! There's so much you can do with a 2DIN opening beyond going with a larger deck. Folks could keep their single DIN deck, and use the second DIN for auxiliary gauges like this, or additional switches similar to this. I know Jeep guys love their switches and gauges lol. The sky's the limit with a spare DIN.

Last edited:
Looks great man!

can you give us a link as to where to get the double din adapter kit you mentioned using? I wonder if you couldn't do this on an exchange basis, I'm sure you could find plenty of them used at JY etc but I would a much easier project for the DIY guy if he knew it would be done in a few hours and that the worst part is cutting the inside of the hole out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back