• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer axles.. camber

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Any advantage to a cambered trailer axle for our projects? When you order say a 2000-3500lb trailer axle they would normally come straight tubed?

I assume they are for heavy weight when loaded.. such as a boat or vehicle?

I need to pick up an axle and figured now was the time to ask. :cool:

I just bought a new 3500lb Dexter axle for my trailer build. While I did opt for the 3" diameter tube, I skipped the camber.

My sales rep (who is also a NAXJA member) advised me that the camber was really unnecessary for an off-road trailer and the type of weight we would be carrying. He suggested it was intended more for multiple axle set-ups where far heavier weights were being carried.

I'm building up a MJ short bed and I bought:
Dexter 3500lb Straight 3" Beam EZ Lube w/ 60.5" WMS to WMS
5 on 4 1/2" stud spacing
10 x 2 1/4" electric brakes with emergency brake option

No need for the camber on something so light duty. Order your axle with no camber and you will be happy with it. The thought behind camber is once you put a load on the trailer the axle will bend slightly and allow the tires to sit evenly on the ground, the problem is when the trailer doesn't have weight on it the tires will wear on the outer edges of the tires. Just my $.02.

Back