• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off/On Road Trip advice?

eleduardok

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently building a DD/Pretty damn solid wheeler, and have about 3 weeks vacation. I was looking at the TransAm Trail for dual sport motorcycles, and wondered, starting here in Indiana, how far in what direction I could go, staying on local roads, gravel, dirt and unimproved for the most part. With some wheeling along the way, BLM, National Forest ect. Anyone ever take a trip like that? Will be like a mini expedtion, camping the whole trip, as much good offroad as possible, with out too much SERIOUS stuff to slow me down, scenic, remote, and relaxing.
Is this still possible in the US? I am not sure how much of the TransAM is open to jeeps, but looks really cool. I and a co pilot will just go at our own pace, camping at Parks as needed for showers, ect.

Any advice on a trips, roads, maps, and books much appreciated. Thanks Ed

I'm not sure about the Midwest, but a trip like that is defiantely doable here out west. CA, NV,AZ,UT, CO, MT all these states have large tracts of public (BLM, USFS, and in some cases NPS) lands thta have extensive OHV routes.

Do you have a link to the Trans Am trail?

I am from Nor Cal, but I would like so see some on the way West as well. I think its transamtrail.com

Pretty cool idea, would be a blast if I still had an Enduro... Thanks

I got this reply from Sam, the creator. "Yes,,,most of it can be traveled by Jeep..I have a lot of jeep riders and everyone had enjoyed to ride............Sam "/
Looks like thats where I am headed, 2 weeks of off pavement travel, water crossings, and wheeling. Camping and eating like king is a given. Will post up from the trip in May.

Not a bad little plan for a $1 XJ!

well the 1$ XJ is about to get several dollars thrown at it, and some serious miles put on it. I think I have the route figured out, now to build the XJ how I want it for expedtions and wheeling.

Back