• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZ GTE Cherokee install

wahoo50

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1995 Toyota Supra twin turbo engine with automatic trans that I plan to install in my 1999 Cherokee 4 x 4. Question is - can the Toyota trans be modified with parts from the AW4 to fit my transfer case?

That should be a AW4 behind that Yota motor. I think Toyota has a different name/classification for it. Then again I'm not a Yota fan so i could be wrong!

Have a 1995 Toyota Supra twin turbo engine with automatic trans that I plan to install in my 1999 Cherokee 4 x 4. Question is - can the Toyota trans be modified with parts from the AW4 to fit my transfer case?

AW4 and A340 are the same trans so It SHOULD bolt up! Bolt an AW4 to it and call it a day! I agree with everyone else in saying, Thats Badass and you should post a build thread! :yelclap:

Thanks for the response & encouragement. I currently have a TE-60 turbo robbed from my Grand National on the XJ. It runs OK and I could continue with modifications but the 2JZ can make ungodly power for much less money. (My GN looks as stock as factory, but with the Stage II motor is making 748 hp, is so much fun to drive).

The 2JZ will bolt to the AW4 so I can install it and make it run, just don't think the AW4 can handle the power. Could have the AW4 built, just hate to leave a good 2JZ trans sitting on the floor.

Sure do appreciate you guys sharing any ideas you may have, even if they don't make sense, it might trigger a new thought.

Thanks for the response & encouragement. I currently have a TE-60 turbo robbed from my Grand National on the XJ. It runs OK and I could continue with modifications but the 2JZ can make ungodly power for much less money. (My GN looks as stock as factory, but with the Stage II motor is making 748 hp, is so much fun to drive).

The 2JZ will bolt to the AW4 so I can install it and make it run, just don't think the AW4 can handle the power. Could have the AW4 built, just hate to leave a good 2JZ trans sitting on the floor.

Sure do appreciate you guys sharing any ideas you may have, even if they don't make sense, it might trigger a new thought.
Yeah, I'm gonna need some GN pics now! :D

The AW4 can handle the power, just get a fresh un-abused one. I have heard some big numbers handled by the AW4.

Yeah I had heard that myself. OP, How much power do you plan on pushing?

With the twin turbos I can about 400 hp. I plan to remove them and go with a single one, other mods will be necessary as well, I think 550-700 would feel good in an otherwise stock XJ 4 X 4. Already have a 3" downpipe to tailpipe exhaust system and fuel management system.

Had one of these engines in my 98 GS300 Lexus, single turboed it along with other mods, was a real sleeper, expecially with the factory exhaust quietness. Even the gas mileage was cool.

Got to iron out the trans difficulties then attack the engine management system on the XJ.

Thanks for your imput and ideas.

im actually looking into this trans issue also im swapping in a lexus 4.0 four cam 32 valve v8. the trans appear to be the same trans as long as it is rear wheel drive i am not seeing any issue with this i looked into upgraded trans for my lexus transmission and it list the AW4 on the same list as mine. so go for it!!!

The aw4 can handle lots of power. Somebody on here ran it behind a 401 IIRC. Ran 12.5s with that tranny.
I think you can swap the valve bodies between the Jeep and the Toyota versions of the the trans for firmer shifting.

This project is going to be amazing.

Novak does not appear to have much confidence in the AW4, in reading their descriptions on auto trans, they seem to prefer GM automatics.

thats because they make the adapters for the GM transmissions. Don't get me wrong, they are a great company, but the fewer different adapters they make the larger their profit margins.

they don't favor it as a transmission to swap to if you would need to do extra work. Bun in an application like this where no mating adapters or mounts are needed, then it should be a cinch.

Back