NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 27th, 2018, 20:21
NAXJA Forum User

Engine swap

So I'm getting ready to pull the engine from my 01. I have searched and searched and can't seem to find an article or anything.

How are people securing the coil pack from the 01 engine? Is there a write up somewhere? Pictures? Parts I need to buy or can make? I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I can deal with big words. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old April 27th, 2018, 21:27
NAXJA Member

Re: Engine swap

Your post is confusing -- "How are people securing the coil pack from the 01 engine"

What are you asking? Are you using an engine with a head that doesn't have the coil pack mounts? You can make mounts easy enough -- I believe people are using the head bolts and making some sort of "L" brackets

I opted to get rid of the thing completely and run a dodge viper coil and wires -- here's an older thread on the process, unfortunately photobucket is holding the pictures for ransom

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066869
Old April 27th, 2018, 21:54
NAXJA Forum User

On a similar note, you can buy a upgraded 0331 head that has the mounting bosses. If you looking for any performance, Russ can do wonders with one!
Old April 28th, 2018, 07:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
Your post is confusing -- "How are people securing the coil pack from the 01 engine"

What are you asking? Are you using an engine with a head that doesn't have the coil pack mounts? You can make mounts easy enough -- I believe people are using the head bolts and making some sort of "L" brackets

I opted to get rid of the thing completely and run a dodge viper coil and wires -- here's an older thread on the process, unfortunately photobucket is holding the pictures for ransom

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066869
Sorry for the confusion. I am using the complete engine and head from my 99 and putting into my 01. I was wondering how people are securing the coil pack. I have read people just setting the coil pack down on the plugs and it holds it pretty well, but I don't know about that.

However, I do like your idea better and will be looking into it. Thanks for the info.
Old April 28th, 2018, 18:55
NAXJA Member

I did a 98 grand into a 2000 XJ -- Ran with the coil pack just laying up there for awhile -- It was pretty sturdy all by itself

You could easily make brackets but the Viper coil mod is the way to go

Here is the coil I used from rock auto https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...410556&jsn=425