NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 27th, 2010, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Door locks draining battery

I'm having an issue with my door locks constantly in "Lock" mode causing a constant drain on my battery causing it to eventually die. I disconnected driver switch, then passenger but something seems to be stuck or there is a short somewhere. when I move one of the switches there is a clicking behind the gauge cluster, or somewhere in the dash near there.

Has anyone ever experienced this, or is there a relay, solenoid or something in the dash that can short or get stuck in the "lock" position to cause this? I can't do anything until the weekend and I'd prefer it not die on me again.

Thanks
Old January 28th, 2010, 05:48
NAXJA Member #1191

Re: Door locks draining battery

Just to get you started, there are two relays, lock and unlock, in a relay block mounted on the lower dash panel in front of your right knee. The horn relay is also mounted there. As I recall, the door lock relays are to the right, away from the steering column. As a start you could unplug these in turn and see what happens.
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:38
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Door locks draining battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Just to get you started, there are two relays, lock and unlock, in a relay block mounted on the lower dash panel in front of your right knee. The horn relay is also mounted there. As I recall, the door lock relays are to the right, away from the steering column. As a start you could unplug these in turn and see what happens.
That sounds about the best idea I can think of, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks