• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are these wires speaker wires

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
89 4.0 auto. base model.

my rig doesnt have factory speakers in the rear hatch. as i go thru this thing, it is wired for all the fancy gizmos of the day. they just arent there. i am putting in a new stereo and speakers. while looking for someway to run the wires thru the hatch i noticed these. they end right above the speaker opening?

if they are in fact speaker wires, what color does what?

the lousy haynes manual only shows audio wiring for 97 and later models.
21chxyo.jpg

21chxyo.jpg

24e8504.jpg

thanks a million!

They look a lot like speaker wires. Are they just dead-ended back there? See if the pattern matches to the head unit harness up front.

Looks as though it used to have speakers and they removed them and cut the wires.

According to the wire colors on our 87 & 89 XJs, (sorry I don't have details on an 88, should be the same though) Right rear speaker wire colors are: Black and White/Black. Left rear speaker wire colors are: Green/White and Black/White.

Hope that helps.

Those would be speaker wires..

everything i found out there on wiring diagrams showed diferent colors for rear speakers. oh well. thanks for the info. i went ahead and ran new wires down the door.

Back