• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

Ebay bumper is sitting gathering dust. Actually done a handful now and sold them

I have not done bump stops i dont have limiting straps. I dont care to much about my current shocks.

Still been talking to accutune I gota say they are great. What kicked this off was researching orie struts. Orie have built in bump stops. User stable spring rate ride heith firmness. Pretty much a bolt them on at bump stopped height air em up and go. At a cost of about 900ish minus the nitrogen charging bottle and hardware.
https://www.jensenbrosoffroad.com/products/stx-strut
https://www.polyperformance.com/ori-dual-fill-nitrogen-fill-kit

Fox 2.0 factory series tuned by accutune spring rates set to your desired ride height me 5 up 7 down
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/fox-2-0-coilover-7-8-shaft-emulsion-12-travel-with-springs/

Then ad 400-500 for bump stops and make or buy limiting straps.

Ori od is 3.23"
Coils od on Fox 2.0 is roughly the same or alittle less than ori od. Wich is what started all my research. The ori I was thinking was easier to package but its not. In a way it is since it doesn't need a secondary bump stop.

All that and my jeeps still broke im having a hard time getting distracted. Been researching super duty front axles to. Shipped to me for 500-700 that includes shipping. Hmmmm

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes. The red xj and me were only to rigs to complete the water fall runs. I did not have a spare. Pulled shaft and stuffed tube full of rags.

Yota took transfer case out on a rock .

Pretty hooked on slow technical vertical ledges and rocks. 5.13 gears would be nice.

Have also been thinking about rock crawler coils to firm up ride alittle and maybe bring about 1" of lift.
Factory in the cost of fox 2.0 shocks ive already decided are a must ad coil springs that probly won't work out how I like. And I'm damn near to what a set of coil overs cost tuned for my vehichle weight use and target ride height. Not to mention upper coil over mount or lower can easily have a couple inches of ride height built in without even thinking about touching coil adjustment on coiliver it self.

Coilover mounted in current coil location would go into the engine bay but pretty much anything I do from here is going in.
Cycling front with no shocks or coils 7" down is a shit ton of articulation and right about were track and 3link start limiting travel due to bind and track bar pulling to drivers side. 12" shock is plenty plenty.

I never got the last stimulus payment some ****er working the unemployment system got it instead im sure. Not to mention getting only 800 of almost 10 grand taken from my pay in taxes. I think this is the last year I pay taxes
Was counting on that to get bump stops. But am kinda glad I didn't because I hadn't yet talked myself into coil overs. Theyd be mounted in the way im sure

Yes. On or the other probably broke first then took out othere. Was unto take it out right away.

Yes made it up what owned the yota. A prior attempt with 3.55 gears and open front was a failed attempt. Literally walked right up with grizzly and 4.88s

Yes. On or the other probably broke first then took out othere. Was unto take it out right away.

Yes made it up what owned the yota. A prior attempt with 3.55 gears and open front was a failed attempt. Literally walked right up with grizzly and 4.88s

Didn't catch both broke on that side. Really sucks

Don't ya love being locked?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Everyone bags on Doetsch Tech shocks but they have built in bumps as well. ORI or Orie? Completely different ballgame with coilovers but DT shocks are good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've heard good on them.

Ori

I really like the guys at accutune

f4aed7463c0dcbc82cb882caf7065dae.jpg

Joint upgrade day.

Pulled every shaft i could find even one with a bent inner due to a crash and a set from a 96 grand.

Then tracked down joints.

Now to work for a few hours. Then get shafts in tonight. Will remove tone rings and run spicers and have the skf for spares.

Hoping to hit the trail tomorrow on broke in gears but it didn't happen will have about 100 miles on rear gears going into carnage canyon.
60845e994da9999e764bd48474c0e936.jpg
69ac1c6fa3603cd8ef496c1bf52c0006.jpg
8004b3f5c1b7fa76275ed16f22917b12.jpg
8c0a667fbc6950021cf06038b4b5dbce.jpg
de7fcd45b6f8fff28b05399f791ffbc6.jpg

Joint upgrade day.

Pulled every shaft i could find even one with a bent inner due to a crash and a set from a 96 grand.

Then tracked down joints.

Now to work for a few hours. Then get shafts in tonight. Will remove tone rings and run spicers and have the skf for spares.

Hoping to hit the trail tomorrow on broke in gears but it didn't happen will have about 100 miles on rear gears going into carnage canyon.
60845e994da9999e764bd48474c0e936.jpg
69ac1c6fa3603cd8ef496c1bf52c0006.jpg
8004b3f5c1b7fa76275ed16f22917b12.jpg
8c0a667fbc6950021cf06038b4b5dbce.jpg
de7fcd45b6f8fff28b05399f791ffbc6.jpg

Sounds like you got the shaft Lol

Did you check to see what size axles you bought?

5-760 size
Or are they 1310

A 93 xj had 260 joints to. All but one grand cherokee had cv's. I was after the big shaft.
Also went as far to test fit the grand shaft with tone ring on a xj.

Have alot of jointing when I get home

Front shafts survived a relaxing day.

Did do a trail working all fours snow mud running water clawing over rocks and through creeks had to turn around at a 5ft snow drift.

Fun stuff, the bigger shafts give alittle peice of mind though I know theyl still break. Have a the spares ready to go.

Fun stuff
876ee930bb2b85d72668a4507c0de26c.jpg
3a732524ed21afd14b71716b800222da.jpg

It's almost time

If anyone's curious ORI 14 AND 16" struts aren't available till August

I weighed my xj today. 4200lbs with spare fuel, tools and some trail parts.
Probly closer to 4400 actually trail read. Then potentially 4600-4700 with 2 occupants and stuff.

Front end weighs 2240

Will be contacting accutune for 14" coil overs ounce our mostly free money is deposited in my account. May swing for bump stops at the same time. Im undecided though I know I should do bump stops at tge same time

I can't wait till August.

I may double up the fox shocks on the rear and get crown HD leafs. But I may just run the 4 fox jeep shocks don't really want to spend money on leafs

Did some lifting deciding on up travel and stroke. These shocks are about 9" stroke. Im running 4.5" up travel and bump stopped there

14" coil overs will fit inside the hood. Ive worked out bump stop location and lower shock mount in my head.
Won't truly know whats going on under the hood till I get the shocks poked through minus springs and set to bump stop height.

Probly be a combination of tube with 1/4" plate. I envision a few inches of ride height adjustability built into the upper coil over mounts. Kinda starting to see that in my head.

I had originally decided 12" shocks were enough but don't think ill be on a xj platform for forever. 14" will be better suited for something with a frame to build on that has minimal sheet metal. Like a 76 ford with no lift and 3link front. 4link rear.

I called jensenbrosoffroad off road today. 15 minute phone call talking ORI and coil overs. He had nothing but good to say didnt try sway me one way or the other .
Talked about trails in Utah and Idaho. I very much enjoyed and learned alot. I truly believe that theres alot to be gained by phone calls over internet research

6d536fbfd848d3d76b20fd7fc68c2387.jpg
f1c3012fac081b468b55b763afeb9d05.jpg

https://youtu.be/JZMQOr6p1q8

Shitty vid. Still testing out the waters. 1310 ujoints holding up on the technical climbs. Starting to mangle her underside pretty good. Exhaust isn't surviving very good at all. Need to ramp all crossmembers. Can't have square edges.
cd6c96b7a8d8de9860c0dd20db3c2849.jpg
e09c5e00b05135a4b5e4d2ced74e2589.jpg

Suspension revamp.

Front and rear. Sitting at about 2.5" lift currently. Shooting for 4" all around when done

Crown 7" free arch springs

I may basted pack them though they look to have some arch left and have about 1" more shock shaft showing now.
97eda7826090885b837eef034d2cb13d.jpg
cd998c824c7dc78f340954a071f7cacb.jpg
3db753320a9339de4b30cd6aab8d686f.jpg

One drilled. Main reason for drilling is im running 5/8 center pins axle pads already drilled.
I drilled factor leafs with a hand drill. These crowns are much harder. 4 bit process working this harbor freight press pretty good.

I only gained about 1" over my ragged out leafs. Im thinking about cutting the main leaf on the factory pack just barely short of the crown spring eyes. I think ill get another inch and should increase spring rate aswell as support the crown leaf. Pack should still settle to just alittle arch at ride height maybe alitt more than pictured.
Im hoping to gain a couple inches and be able to support all spare parts tools and passenger.

In the last 6months the factory leafs have sagged from 4.5" of shock shaft showing to barely 3 and bottoming out on everything.

I also have a short not quite zero rate 8" long leaf cut. But want to see what supporting the long main leaf does first.

This parts what I like. The actual tuning changing and retuneing to meet my needs and wants.
21ac698716e1fab34956aa719ee7f541.jpg

Yes. On compression my tire was hitting the front side of my fender.

Ada leaf to the crown pack. Thats the factory main leaf cut down. Not sure itl do much.

Just twisted the passenger side fron leaf bolt off. Working on cutting out the leaf spring and then tackle the repair. Might be building front leaf hanger boxes now
acb674e9799e0e9210ac3b7802445127.jpg

Back