• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1966 Chevy C10....... "Chevronado"

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
(Trying Cubeupload for hosting....... hope this works.)

Found myself hip deep into yet another project. Just a flipper. Needs quite a bit of work but it's got good bones.

"Chevronado"....... it's all in the name. Chevy truck + Toronado frame and drive train.

Yep, it's front wheel drive. :D

Got it stupid-cheap...... like for what I could sell the grill, bed and tailgate for. I couldn't NOT buy it.

Anyhow, it was an old man - car guy's daily driver down in Elizabeth since the late 80's. Drove it everywhere. Got it from a guy helping his widow clear out 25 cars from his property. Last ran and drove 2 years ago. Got it to fire up but it needs a carb replacement, tune up and fresh fuel. Tires are absolute crap and barely hold air, one wheel missing, the rears got put on the front for some reason which made them stick way out due to the wide track of the Toronado front bits. All glass was replaced recently, the windshield is amazing. '80's stepside bed is in very good shape and little rust. Good solid interior, very little cab rust outside of the usual rockers. Cab corners and front fenders will need replaced. Front suspension is shot, the washboard roads out in Elizabeth took their toll on it. Rear suspension is truck leaf packs but Toronado straight axle, brakes and e-brake system. I believe the engine to be a 455, might be a 425.

Got the engine/trans and underside pressure washed and some good tires on it. Kept the 15x8 truck rally wheels for the rear, found a pair of 15x6.5 for the front. Sandblasted at Blasttech then painted with GM Argent silver. Shod those with used 255/70 rear, 215/70 front. Man is it a mo-fo to find old-school size 15" tires these days!

Next is to get it running, moving and stopping. After that, oil leak repair for both front harmonic seal and trans pan gasket. Not sure if I'll throw money and effort into the front suspension. Could use a Painless Street Rod universal wiring harness as well - just to clean up the spaghetti mess it's got now. The bed needs a bed floor kit as well...... again, not likely to be done by me.

Probably keep it around and tinker on it occasionally until Tri State Swap Meet Feb 2019 and put it in the car corral. Been having real good luck selling old school vehicles there the past 3 years.

If anyone knows someone who'd dig this truck, feel free to put me in contact with them, I'm not married to it. :thumbup:

IMG20180321122844003.jpg

IMG20180321122834348.jpg

IMG20180321122903941.jpg

IMG20180321123011900.jpg

After some cleaning, pressure washing, turned down the torsion bars for better stance and tires/wheels mounted. Have GMC Sierra van centercaps coming to finish them off with. May/may not get trim rings.

IMG20180331182410390.jpg

IMG20180331182400485.jpg

IMG20180331182427042.jpg

IMG20180331182529044.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet ride, love old trucks. Few years ago I had an old Jimmy that was restored. Sold it and have been kicking my ass ever since. Some day I'll get another one...

LOL....... 120 views and only one response huh? Nothing nice to say so nothing being said kinda thing? :laugh:

Thanks 'yank. That was a really clean Jimmy indeed.

I guess I should clarify..... it's titled as a GMC... just couldn't come up with a clever name for it...... and it's like a 3rd GMC, a 3rd Oldsmobile and a 3rd Chevy.... :dunno:

LOL....... 120 views and only one response huh? Nothing nice to say so nothing being said kinda thing?

Sorry Mopar or no car!!! :D

I just can't get over the old car guy comment. Pot, have you met Kettle? :D

Seriously though, that's not factory is it? Toronado FWD puke under a truck? Need to put that stuff in the bed and make it a mid engine monster. Its just a shame that the truck was ruined like that, even though the body does seem pretty solid over all and it must've been well taken care of at least.

Not factory, not even close. And it's far from ruined. It's like you and your tattoos...... dare to be different.

Previous owner was 86 when he passed 2 years ago.....so yeah, old car guy.

Last edited:
And center caps.........

347IMG20180405193258597.jpg

87cIMG20180405193357118.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not saying its ruined in terms of it being hacked together, just that making a C10 FWD in general ruins it. There is only 1 cool FWD pick-up truck, and it was made by VW.

Still, at the right price the body seems in good shape and it could always be fixed.

I love it! If I didn't have such a long commute I would love to have a classic C10. Very nice.

Even for you.

I think it suffered from DNA replicative failure and died a horrible slow death due to host / graft rejection .:conceited

Morbid Tom......morbid.

Still sitting here waiting for me to trade it away or tinker on it.

Back