• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best cure for sagging headliners.....

Or ..... use the instructions off of the site that "Napa90xj" indicated and buy the stuff by the foot/yard at most larger Walmart stores in thier fabric department. It's the very same stuff (even has the thin foam-backing).
icon14.gif

Jeep Cherokee instructions: http://www.headlinerkit.com/j.shtml

csr_011 said:
What is the best way to fix a sagging headliner and/or are they hard to replace?

Cory

Dude replace it! Costs about $50.
My only suggestion would be is to have a friend to help you. After you spray both the Headliner and the material pull the material from side to side overlapping the sides. Then work the material towards the center, smoothing it out. I tried the opposite, starting from the center and I got a couple wrinkles, not a lot but a couple.

I took a 8' piece of half round molding and cut it in half. Put the first peice above the grab handles in the front and one directly above the passenger's heads. Cost about $3.... The peices of trim are sprung into place.

Thanks! Cherokid!!!
I was at Walmart tonight and found some Realtree camoflauge that will make a great addition to my cherokee!! I thought the mold was of cardboard? Sounds like this will be easier than i thought!

Cory

Did mine with just regular material from the $1 a yard table and it worked fine. Used an off white denim. Use the 3M 77 spray glue from the hardware department. I bought two cans and had some left over, but not a lot. The backer in an 84 is actually made up of multiple layers of paper and fiberglass sandwiched together and pressed into shape. I pealed the old glue layer off and it worked fine.

Last edited:
One thing to NOT do: don't reuse the original foam-backed cloth! The foam is what's rotting......

I did this on my '84 Oldsmobile back in '93. I cleaned all the foam off of the cardboard, but left it on the cloth. Followed the FMS procedure for regluing, bought the right glue, etc etc.

It looked fabulous when I was done. For two days. Then it started to peel again.

I found me some nice matching blue thumbtacks at the hardware store, and went for the "tufted" look after that (after all, it was an 80's Oldsmobile!). Then the thumbtacks started to pop out! (Yikes! Don't like them sitting on the seats!). So I pulled each 'tack, and superglued them back into the holes.

Den

Back