• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap LHD Front Axle into RHD XJ

SNOZZBERRY99

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any info on swapping a lhd D30 into a rhd XJ? I'm thinking I can install a LHD steering box in its normal spot on the left, (completely disco'd)using it essentially as a Idler arm, with a center link connecting the stock gearbox to the lhd gearbox and then use normal linkage from there. Also, installing a Lhd track bar bracket.
This would open me up to being able to use wj knuckles/brakes normal linkage that is readily available and doesn't have long lead times. Anyone have any input?

I have put a LHD TJ Rubicon D44 into a RHD TJ. One of the board members has driven it.

If you want to keep the vehicle RHD, you only need to work on the track bar. A new bracket is needed on the LHD axle on the other side. And you will likely need a custom made track bar or a RHD trackbar that is bent to clear the diff cover. LHD track bar wont work. Some fabrication is required.

No need for a LHD steering box, or idler arm. I used LHD V8 ZJ steering upside down in OTK mode. Knuckles need to be reamed for OTK and weld your new track bar bracket to the new height at the same time.

RuffStuff Specialties does RHD steering
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/R2237.html

I can locate RHD WJ/WG knuckles here in the UK if you need them.

Just to be clear, the TJ was an export model for the United Kingdom. It still is RHD although I no longer own it. It originally arrived from the factory with a RHD low pinion D30. The UK never had a RHD TJ Rubicon model so I bought a brand new LHD TJ Rubicon axle in the USA and modified the axle to make it into a RHD axle.

I have a picture somewhere, may even still be here on NAXJA, I will search for it.

The only photo left on NAXJA is this one, but I know I have at least one good clear photo of the front axle in my archive.

FallFling2006057.jpg

Back