• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I mix & match RE 5.5 Short Arm Kit?

XJ-Mayhem

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I just picked up a RE 5.5 extreme duty short arm kit from Craigslist for $400 without shocks. I figured too good to pass up.

With that said, I think 5.5” is too tall for what I’m going for... I’m staying on a real budget build so I’ll probably eventually go from current 31” to 33”s and keep the front open and lock the rear.

My question is - can I use the upper and lower arms and track bar without the drop bracket and throw a 3” spring in front? Then pull some leafs from the rear or bastard pack it with the stock pack to lower it down?

The overall goal right now is looking like this -
Stock front 30, maybe get rid of the vacuum disconnect with one piece shafts
ZJ steering
Durango box
Sye
Swap the 35 for at least an 8.25, maybe an 8.8, lock it
Maybe gears

Open to suggestions or pointers

3" is perfect for 31's, 33's would need some trimming of the sheetmetal.

You can use the control arms, the trackbar should be the RE1660 and it will be too long. I built a 3.25" bastard pack with the RE 2.5" AAL and one additional stock XJ leaf.

You could sell off the unneeded parts.

My 2000 is at 5.5" and on 31's with RE short arms and RE drop brackets.

standard.jpg

Dang, I was hoping the track bar would work. I bought it already trimmed, but unfortunately the PO didn’t do the rear with a cut a fold so I don’t want to trim much more than it already is.
If I pull apart the RE leaf pack, am I better off pulling longer leaves or shorter leaves to try and soften it up/lower it?

I wouldn't bother with the leaf springs, removing leaves increases the risk of sagging them. Sell what you have, and buy what you need.

For the rear, and if $$ matter, look for a 4.10 8.25. I do have 8.8 in both my XJs. It was more of getting a LS, the gears I wanted and disc brakes. I'd total the cost of each. With the 8.25, KJ rear disk and a lunch box locker. Also, your intent. If heavy wheeling, then the Ford 8.8 LS won't last long.
In the 3-3.5 rear springs there are more than a few options. Roughly $300-$360. 4.10's are good for 31's. They can handle 33's. A Hack-n-Tap for $$ vs a true SYE. Both at 3.5 lift will probably need a custom shaft.
If you got the adjustable arms, you got your money. Possibly post in your region for sale or trade for what you want. If that track bar would work for 4.5 lift, I'd be interested.

Last edited:
Back