• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear TJ D44 swap?

stickandrudder

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The setup: Currently have the 29spline 8.25, 1541 shafts, trutrac, 4.56. Tires are 35s. I want to stay on 35s but eventually go 4.88 and get a more durable axle long-term, and disk brake swap.

My shop called me and said a customer would sell me his rear TJ rubi D44 with stock shafts but I’d need gears/locker. $300. Is this worth it? I was kinda leaning towards a Ford 9 or a JK D44, but just looking for a 3rd opinion. Thanks guys.

The TJ axle "might" be considered a up-grade to a 29 spline axle but it's not worth the effort! There is not much difference in physical reality though.

$300 plus the cost of gears and locker and setup... and you still need to cut off all the mounts and buy new ones and have them welded on to convert it to leaf springs.

A lot of this depends on what you can do yourself. I'd pass and look for an XJ44 over this one and not mess with setting up the spring perches.

Keep in mind, your alloy shafts in the 8?25 are stronger than the D44 stock 30 spline shafts. Also, the 8.25 uses equal length shafts, meaning you only need to carry 1 spare. I'd just get a disc brake swap kit for your 8.25 and call it a day, or go all out and build a 9" rear

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’d probably stay with the 8.25 as well, but $300 for a Jeep D44 seems a great price. If it has the Rubicon’s 4.10 gears and lockers, so much the better, but how many XJ guys paid $350-400 for an XJ 44 and the. Proceeded to buy gears and a locker anyway? They just aren’t making that many 60” 5x4.5 Dana 44s anymore.

Back