• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4/30-43LE Transmission Leak

Flyboy33

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 Cherokee 4.0l, 4x4, with a 30-43LE transmission. The tranny fluid is pouring out through the bell-housing. I dropped my tranny to replace the front pump seal, put it all back together and it started just fine with no leaks! I get a mile down the road, pulled over to double check that it wasn’t leaking and sure enough it was pouring out again. Then I noticed my cooler lines were bent and kinked. I dropped my tranny again and yanked the seal to check the front pump bushing, the metal ring behind the seal. It has a few gouges in it but nothing big enough that I’d think(I don’t know much lol) would cause this leak. Any advise or suggestions would be awesome, thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes time :(

I don't know enough about the AW4 to even comment on your problem. And I have a 99 XJ with the A4 :) Might want to join and post over at the Cherokee forums. They have a higher traffic count, I think but it could still be a while to get a response.

You've got to give us a little bit of a chance here - this is a discussion board, not a live chat.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I do have a couple thoughts:

First off, the bent/kinked cooler lines - where between the rad and the trans did you see this damage? If it's against the engine block above the axle, this is a common spot for a bit of "crimping" to occur if you run with the front swaybar off and flex the truck out, because the passenger side upper control arm mount swings right into that spot if the bumpstops aren't set right, particularly if you're lifted. Depending on the history/usage of your Jeep, this might be expected. How badly kinked are they? Mine have had a bit of a crimp for years, and don't seem to have caused any issues for me.

Moving on, the "returned" leak. I can't speak to the gouges you saw in that ring behind the seal (but in general, my understanding is that any "damage" to a sealing surface is a bad thing), but I would like to ask how much fluid you put back into the trans after doing the seal, and where it showed on the dipstick after you noticed the leak had "restarted".

I ask because of something that happened to me back in June - I was coming to the end of a 2 hour drive, and purely at random I noticed a cloud of white smoke pouring off the back of the truck, so I pulled into a Tractor Supply lot I happened to be right by (I'd just come off about 80 miles of interstate highway cruising, followed by a long climb up and over a mountain, and while the temp gauge rose a hair above the 210 mark, it didn't go more than a needle's width and came right back down once I crested the peak and started down the other side). I climbed out (leaving it idling), and looked under the truck and saw ATF dribbling out from the bottom of the bellhousing.

Thinking I'd just blown the front trans seal (and being worried about possibly having to call AAA to get towed 100 miles back home), I immediately popped the hood and checked the trans dipstick, and found it reading _above_ the "hot full" mark. I went inside, bought a 2-gal jug of ATF (wasn't sure how much I had onboard in the back), and set out for the campground where NACFest was headquartered. Got up to about 50, and got another white cloud out the back, which really unnerved me, so I backed off the throttle and eased/limped it the last 3-5 miles. Checking again at the campground, the level still showed above full.

Next morning, same thing - still above full, so I headed for the trailhead. No white clouds on the way there, which included a substantial hill climb at the end, and when I checked in the parking lot there, I was down to full. One of the guys I was meeting there, when I related what happened, said he's seen that before with the AW-4: if overfilled, that front seal can just "burp out" excess fluid and seal right back up, and that seems to have been what happened to me - I'd replaced the trans pan 5 or 6 years back and apparently overfilled it at the time due to inexperience, and it just picked last June to finally blow off the overfill. My fluid level's not moved since, and no discernable change in trans behavior either.

TL/DR: Overfilling the AW4 can sometimes cause it to "burp" excess fluid out around the front seal without actually damaging it.

Just something to consider...

Thank you for that info Rob. So I’m not entirely sure if I had too much trans fluid or not because when I bought my XJ it didn’t have a dip stick. I ended up pulling one out of an older XJ at the junk yard but I’m not sure if it had the same transmission.
Update: last night 11/8/20 I put my trans back in my Jeep, started it and let it idle. 10 min later it started flowing trans fluid out of the bell housing again.
The only thing I can think to do now is have my pump rebuilt by a professional. Can’t seem to find a new or refurbished transmission pump for a 30-43LE.

Well, sounds like it's definitely leaking. Odd that it didn't have a dipstick when you got it, it should have (but maybe the leak is why it didn't...).

Have you considered just getting a whole transmission out of the junkyard and swapping it in? The AW-4 (what Jeep called this transmission) is pretty robust and doesn't fail too often, which probably contributes to the lack of parts/rebuilders.

Have you considered just getting the entire transmission out of a 99 at the junkyard and swapping it into your Jeep? That might well get you back on the road faster than hunting for a new pump, and (if you want), you can still pursue getting this one fixed "in the background" as a spare without it crippling the vehicle.

I talked to a local transmission shop and I’m going to take my converter and pump to them for inspection. We’ll see!

Ok so it’s a bit confusing what parts I can use on my transmission. From what Ive gathered through all the research I’ve done the AW4 may be identified as a model #30-43LE for 2wd versions and as a model #40-30LE for 4wd versions. I have a 4x4 that’s identified as 30-43LE. So confusing!

Flyboy, did you fix the kinked trans cooler line?

A restricted cooler line might be building pressure
and heat in the pump and causing the leak at the
seal...

Ok so it’s a bit confusing what parts I can use on my transmission. From what Ive gathered through all the research I’ve done the AW4 may be identified as a model #30-43LE for 2wd versions and as a model #40-30LE for 4wd versions. I have a 4x4 that’s identified as 30-43LE. So confusing!

Don't worry about the #30-43LE designation. It's an AW4, plain and simple, unless you have some unicorn.

Go with the parts for an AW4 and you will be fine. No need to complicate the process.

Hope that helps.

Flyboy, did you fix the kinked trans cooler line?

A restricted cooler line might be building pressure
and heat in the pump and causing the leak at the
seal...

I did replace the cooler lines and it still leaked. I talk to a local transmission shop and I have an apt tomorrow to bring in my torque converter and pump to have them inspected. He mentioned standing the trans upright before pulling the pump. Any ideas how I could do something like that by myself? Lol

I used my engine stand when I rebuilt mine.
P1080783.JPG

Back