• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would I be crazy to pass this up?

FatSlobBob

NAXJA Forum User
I'm selling my new Trailhawk to get back into an XJ. I used to own a '96 that I put a lot of work into and I regret selling it. I found another that is super clean. Let me know if I'd be crazy to pass it up.

1998 XJ Limited
-121k miles
-6"RC lift
-SYE w/ aftermarket driveline
-Fox steering stabilizer
-Currie steering w/ Durango steering box and reinforcement crossbar
-Quick release sway bar end links
-New 15" wheels with 35s
-4.88 Nitro gears
-231 TC
-Intake and Banks header and exhaust w/ high flow cat

It has leather interior in ridiculously good condition. Has lots of goodies like bumpers, winch, roof rack, locking diamond plate box on top and in back, full size new spare tire, etc. I could get it for $7500.

Thoughts???

This would be getting driven 1-2x per week, up the mountain to play in the snow, over the pass to the cabin, logging roads, etc. No extensive offroading or crawling.

Is the price good?

They ain't cheap these days. 98 is a good year, and if it is in good shape, and worth it for you, go for it.

It looks to be in amazing shape and the mileage is pretty darn low. It's three hours from me so I'm trying to decide if I should road trip up there to get it

My take:
Low mileage, so high $$. If no rust, then the mileage would command that price for a stocker. Possibly more. Is that configuration what you want? If so, good buy. If not, what to get there? $$. Your probably looking at $12K to get to what you are looking at. I'm not thrilled with a 6 inch RC lift, but each their own.
So, if no rust, I think a fair to good buy.

Wouldn't really say you'd be "crazy". I sold my bone stock 99 with upcountry package no rust and 140k on it for $3500, needed a few things and paint was a little crappy but was a decent rig. If there's one thing I've learned about buying vehicles is that when ever someone else does the work you always have to wonder how well they did it. I've seen some hack jobs. RC wouldn't be my choice for a lift but each their own.

How about a pic?

No rust. Seller has owned for the last 7-8 years . Yeah, RC wouldn't be my first choice either. But it appears the rest of the rig has pretty quality parts. Honestly, it's much more built than I will ever need. But that means I'd never need to add anything to it, just work on keeping the mechanical tip-top. I'm assuming 13-15mpg, which is fine since I don't drive very often and who buys a modified XJ expecting good gas mileage? Here's a pic

6n8A4oP

Couldn't get the pic to open up. I do have RC rear springs on mine at 4.5" lift. Not the best, but have held up for 4-5 years on the open road. I do get 16-17 mpg on 32's.
It's your money. I still would say its a good buy. Also, would depend on DD or trail stomper as to the lift. Also, what axles, etc.

Gears and all seem good. The only thing I'm not a fan of with that would be a 6" lift which I presume is with short arms. You may find that riding rough, but some bolt on long arms ($700-1k) would fix that. As other said, it's your money, but I presume you can comfortably afford that. Just make sure to be extra careful about rust. Crawl under, poke everything. Lots of fresh paint can be suspicious. Fresh undercoating even more

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been doing some reading on the long v short arm debate. It won't be doing any hardcore offroading so RC should suffice. I'm not against replacing springs/shocks down the road if the ride sucks.

It won't be just the springs/shocks that affect the ride. 6" on short arms will be harsher than 6" with long arms no matter what you do about shocks/springs. It is all about the angle on the arms.

Sounds like a great deal to me as long as its in good condition in all ways. I picked up an XJ this summer with 110,000 miles that had zero rust, great condition paint, a near-perfect interior, and a 4.5" long arm kit, but the rear main seal, pan seal, and valve cover seal were all leaking badly, so I had to fix those. Then the starter went out. And then I found out that the rear suspension was not properly set up. Then the front O2 sensor went out. Then I had to fix the power windows. Then the speaker wiring. Then the hatch handle. Now its clear that the heater core is leaking. And I've realized that the now six year old tires don't get sh*t for traction on wet cold roads. So many things that can go wrong even on a seemly low mile awesome condition XJ.

Yeah, and this would be my primary vehicle. But I only drive 1-2x per week, pretty locally, and do long trips occasionally. The trans/diffs/TC were serviced 3k miles ago and the heater core was replaced 2 years ago. The only know issues are an oil leak (seller says quarter sized spot after sitting for a week or so and believe the pan is causing it) and the power driver seat doesn't go up/down, only forward/back.

Well boys this is a long arm lift, just confirmed it. Only things wrong are a small oil leak (seller says quarter sized spot after sitting for a week) and power driver seat doesn't go up and down. Trans/diffs/TC serviced 3k ago. Heater core replaced 2 years ago.

Back