• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

36 weights to balance a tire?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Was doing some work on my XJ and I noticed that one of my tires was just plastered with 1/4 oz weights on the inside of the rim. I have 32 weights on one side and 4 on the opposite side in the wheel. I've had these tires for a year or so, and they've been great (35" BFG KM3's), but the number of weights has me scratching my head.

From what I have read, it's not normal to have this many weights as it might be a defective tire or even a wheel that's not perfectly shaped. I got these tires from Discount Tire and will have them offer their opinion, but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with a tire and what the reason was for all of the weights. For reference, I've been running these wheels since 2005 and this is my 3rd set of tires on these wheels.

I'm curious if the tire shop can test the balance of the wheel itself w/o a tire to make sure it's not the issue. Thoughts?

A 35" tire should take about 10-16oz to balance. Industry standard is not more than 1% of total mounted wheel/tire assembly weight.

You would think the tire shop who installed your tires would have mentioned the exxess amount of wheel weights it took to balance them.

When I read Discount Tire, I shook my head in a disgusted manner. What a bunch of mouth breathing Morons.

I'm curious if the tire shop can test the balance of the wheel itself w/o a tire to make sure it's not the issue. Thoughts?

Find an locally owned independent tire shop with a Hunter Road Force Balance machine and some technicians that are not still wet behind the ears from their Momma bathing them. The Road Force machine and a skilled operator can determine is there is a problem with the tire or the rim, and then balance it correctly. My local tire shop has technicians that have been there for 15 years or more, I never once saw the same people twice at Discount Tire before I stopped going there.

Hi all. Was doing some work on my XJ and I noticed that one of my tires was just plastered with 1/4 oz weights on the inside of the rim. I have 32 weights on one side and 4 on the opposite side in the wheel. I've had these tires for a year or so, and they've been great (35" BFG KM3's), but the number of weights has me scratching my head.

From what I have read, it's not normal to have this many weights as it might be a defective tire or even a wheel that's not perfectly shaped. I got these tires from Discount Tire and will have them offer their opinion, but am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with a tire and what the reason was for all of the weights. For reference, I've been running these wheels since 2005 and this is my 3rd set of tires on these wheels.

Nine ounces out of near 80 lbs tire and rim weight. dont sweat it. Sure they could have used less weight, but then you'd complain about the vibration. I got a good deal of weight on some of mine, and I have lighter 33" MT tires.

The rims are often made well balanced, bent rims can be a big issue however, that will throw it all out of wack. often you can see rim damage, such as signs of a hard hit.

When I read Discount Tire, I shook my head in a disgusted manner. What a bunch of mouth breathing Morons.

Gee Tim, could you tell us what you really think?

:laugh:

I am on the same page. Between Discount Tire and Costco I no longer let any of those clueless bastages touch my vehicle. I put the vehicle up on jackstands and take them the wheels and old tires.

I have yet to find a shop with any two employees who have two synapses to rub together.

I had walmart balance my tires I'd already put on once. It took multiple hours and it shook like a paint shaker after. Redid them at a buddy's place with his balancer and it was smooth after that.

I ended up buying my own mount and balance machines and just do them myself every time now. I only paid... I think 550 for both used on marketplace/craigslist. At around 100 a mount/balance job, I've nearly paid for them already. It's nice to be able to do it on my own schedule, if 2AM is when I have time to swap my tires, I can, and I always know they were perfectly balanced every time.

How can you cross thread a lug nut and bust my center cap and not notice, and NO I do not want anybody to install a new cabin filter or windshield wipers. :banghead:

My local tire shop hand torques each lug nut and they charge less.

Back