• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's your fuel mileage on 33s?

josh9mile

NAXJA Forum User
I lifted my DD and put on 33-12.50-15s. I only noticed a loss of about 2.6 mpg. 16.9 mpg down from 19.5mpg. What are you guys running 33s get?

I guess I should say I'm running a manual and axles from an automatic, so 3.55 gears. I did my mileage test never using 5th gear. This next tank I will use 5th when I can. Also my mileage was a mixture of in-town and county highways where the speed limit is 50.

13-14 in town and 18-19 hwy. 285/75-16 and 4.10s. I'd do 65 on hwy. Any faster and the mileage plummets. Don't expect good mileage trying to keep 80mph. Also how correct is your speedo?

2000 XJ 4.0L AW4 trans 5.5" lift 4:88 gears 295/75/16 BGF KO2's ( 33.3" x 11.50"), 203k miles on the clock 12-15 ave mpg at 4,300ft elev. Engine runs great but it is feeling tired.

Between 12-17 mpg depending on time of year , if i just did a tune up, etc, 33s Auto, stock 3.55s, mj long bed.

13-14 in town and 18-19 hwy. 285/75-16 and 4.10s. I'd do 65 on hwy. Any faster and the mileage plummets. Don't expect good mileage trying to keep 80mph. Also how correct is your speedo?

Switching to 355s and 33in tires it puts my speedo ALMOST exactly where it should be, according to my GPS going 50 my speedo says 52

I got 15-16 driving from WA to CA all highway at about 65mph. Although I was towing a small trailer with my motorcycle on it and the back loaded with stuff (I am also loaded down with winch/bumpers/tire carrier/full size spare). So may have been slightly better unloaded. 2000 4.56 33s with speedo corrected.

I calculate by topping off tank, estimating mileage based on google maps between gas stations , and then top off again, and divide. I dont trust the speedo, etc. I dont bother for short drives, but anything over 50 miles, I do that.

I was getting about 12-14 mixed with 4.10s and a 5 speed and it wasn't near enough gear.

I got an honest 12 mpg around town, based on the GPS. 90 renix, worn out, with two cylinders below spec, 4.11's, lots of heavy stuff, 33's, Mopar header, 2.5" exhaust, bored throttle body, 5 spd, at 6000+ feet. When I was near stock and not worn out, my mileage would drop 2 mpg when the change went from real gas to winter gas, basically the same as the BS gasohol we have now.

Sometime soon I'll have a built HO engine with other goodies while keeping the Renix T-body. I'll be curious to see what happens with mileage. I was shooting for more compression to compensate for the altitude, but I'm not sure I'll have it. The machine shop used some dished pistons which I'm sure were designed to compensate for the increase in compression with an overbore. The block was decked, and the head is in the shop and will be decked. Who knows?

Back