• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wesxjc's 97' Grocery-Getter.

WesXJC

NAXJA Forum User
Five years ago I bought my first XJ, and loved it to death. Life went on, I moved overseas and ended up selling it. I'm back stateside now, and with that comes with the existence of Homeowners Associations. I'm no longer allowed to park my work vehicle at the house and it doesn't fit in the garage, so I needed a A to B vehicle. I found a nice older gentleman who had this XJ for sale, and I snatched it up. It's a 1997 2wd with 110k miles, and a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear. She's not a 4wd but she's got great bones!

These photos are from the morning after I drove it home.

I2Iv2hu.jpg

8DZLcdl.jpg

DfKbN6P.jpg

E3x7IwE.jpg

bQdWSTW.jpg

The jeep desperately needed an oil change which I accomplished today. Along with the oil change I taped off and resprayed the fading plastics/bumpers with Plastidip. It was my first time using the product and it worked out very well!

BEFORE:
RtvDvZ4.jpg

AFTER:
MBtYwiZ.jpg

Indeed the flares look much better! Any specific plans for this thing or just going to be an A - B vehicle?

Indeed the flares look much better! Any specific plans for this thing or just going to be an A - B vehicle?

Although I'm not as wild as I was in my teenage years... I still love to hunt, a good roadtrip, and the outdoors. I don't ever plan on tackling a 4wd conversion but I figure a locker and a wench will get me just about out of anywhere I'll be going. (I went through some pretty ridiculous stuff with my old XJ without needing to engage 4wd) I plan on a modest lift (3" most likely), wheels/meatier tires, front/rear bumper with a wench and a tire carrier for a full size spare, roof rack and some lights.

If this XJ proves to be as reliable as I guessed and I think I need 4wd I'll convert it, if anything it'd be a fun project.

I agree most people do not realize how much fun a 2wd XJ is. Heck except for climbing I hardly ever use 4x4. Nice to know I have it when needed though. I have always like RED but never owned one :( Looks like you got a nice vehicle there!!

If you ever want to join us on a run come camp, enjoy and just ride shotgun on the tough stuff :)

Our annual run is next month ;)

I loved my 2wd 98. Never wheeled it hard but drove it on the beach quite a few times with no issue

Flares look good.

Great looking XJ there! Lock it with some tires and it will kick ass

Flares look great BTW

Back